Why am I loosing my crustacians?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had the same problem with my shrimp dying. I used to do PWCs once a month. I picked the 5th. I think after one of the longer months, the trace elements were gone and I had two shrimp die at very close times. I was testing water like crazy and could not explain it, so that would be my best guess....
Here is mine, he died shortly after that. Then so did my cleaner.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=633891#633891

I agree with the theory that maybe your water changes are too far apart. Iodine is found in the synthetic sea salts that we use, and it depletes slowly until you change the water next. That's my only guess...

I guess the way to prove this is buy an iodine test and see. Hmm, maybe I'll look into that. Anyone know what number on a test is good/low for SW?

Sounds like the consensus is more frequent water changes. I'll go to every 2 weeks and see if that helps. Thanks for all the input. Any more thats still out there is definitely welcome.

It's a great thing you posted. My unexplained deaths were driving me crazy, maybe this is a possible/plausible explanation.

The shrimp seem to live 2-3 weeks. I can't remember their demise in relation to PWC's. Seems like I have a whole pharmacology lab of tests already but will look into finding an iodine kit also.

hpross said:
The shrimp seem to live 2-3 weeks. I can't remember their demise in relation to PWC's. Seems like I have a whole pharmacology lab of tests already but will look into finding an iodine kit also.
What I am thinking is their addition may have depleted the iodine and they died, but this is just a REALLY rough guess.

hpross said:
specific gravity- 1.022
pH 8.2-8.4
amonia- less then .25
nitrate- less then 5.0
nitrite- 0
alk- 2.5
copper- tested by my local store, "normal"
What else should I be looking for?

Hyposalinity is only acceptable for Fish-Only tanks as most inverts cannot handle it. You need to SLOWLY bump up your SG to 1.025~1.026 over a period of about a week. I'm sure you'll see your inverts live much longer.

I like this suggestion as if the cause, is the easiest to fix.

I had mine at 1.024 and they still died. I now keep my FOWLR at 1.021. I also have two urchins that were in with the shrimp and are still living now. I stll think it couls be that 4 weeks for a PWC was allowing the iodine/dide to deplete, possibly killing them. At least mine died the samw way when I was doing a PWC every 4 weeks.

Every year during tax season, I don't do a water change for 4 months as I don't have time. I've never lost any inverts due to Iodine depletion. In fact, Iodine doesn't help inverts molt....it CAUSES them to molt.

Going 4 months without a PWC does not prove that you are doing anything right, it just says you were lucky this time. It would be like me running through a mine field and making it through and then saying I told you there were no mines in there when we know there is. And BTW Iodine does aid in the molting process. This was under a certain invert in Liveaquaria. "Most of the diet will consist of food it scavenges, but supplementing with iodine-rich foods will help ensure proper molting."

Back
Top Bottom