Why are my Inverts Dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have lost two shrimp and a spinny blue lobster in two days. the lobster has been "dying" the entire time. My water parameters are all fine but my waste levels are high. I tested my levels with my FasTest Kit and they were all normal, I took it to the local fish store for a second opinion and sure enough they were off. All they told me was that my waste levels are high. I assume that means nitrate and nitites. I have done two 25% water changes since that news at 10:30 this morning. PLEASE HELP! Thanks! Any advice would help i don't really trust my local fish store.

I would highly recommend getting some different and more acurate test kits first of all. Your phrase, "water parameters are all fine but waste levels are high" is contradictory. Your water chemistry is NOT fine. At this point in time, all you can do are water changes until the water chemistry is back in line. Make sure you are not using freshly mixed water. It needs to age in a bucket, preferably with a powerhead mixing it the entire time, for a day. Make sure that the ph and water temperature are the same in the bucket as in the tank, when you do the water change.

SORRY! I was in a bit of a scramble, I am not a pro that is why I can to this site for help. I meant that PH, Ammonia, Salinity and temp were all fine, and that my "waste" levels were high (Nitrate, and Nitrite). I also said that the test that I have been using to monitor my water parameters is obviously bad. HARA try to give people helpful advice not condescending advice. anyone with anything helpful? Thanks!

What are your nitrite and nitrate levels? Water changes are the only thing that can bring your #'s down. Is your tank new or has it had another owner? The reason I ask is because if the tank has ever been medicated with copper during the treatment the copper gets into the seals and even later leak into the tank and kill your inverts. I don't think there is anything that totally removes copper. I found this out the hard way.

I think the advice given was VERY helpful. Did I miss something? Believe it or not, your statements were contradictory. :wink: If your nitrate leves are high, water quality is not good.

Nitrate is a bad thing for inverts. Fish can stand it better, but inverts will suffer. Hopefully your nitrites are at zero, unless you're still finishing a cycle or have begun another somehow.

Also, acclimation of inverts is critical especially if the water ain't right.

I know you may be a bit stressed right now with stuff dying. That's never fun :(, but I didn't see any bad advice or condescending tone at all.

Stay in touch with me if you can (or so desire) and let's see if we can improve some things.

Good luck!

The tank is about 4 months old and I bought it new. I will do another 25% water change today. What i think the problem might be is that the current filtration is two bio filters. I purchased the aquarium from the local fish store and they said everything would be fine with that filtration. I think that the bio wheel has turned into a nitrate factory. I am already trying to get a new larger aquarium with the proper filtration. I should have done my research before hand. Sorry HARA I was a little upset.

Ugh, that makes me sick...I paid $29 for that test kits at my LFS...I guess they have to make their living too.....

Update On Water Parameters

Why did they Die? I have one cleaner shrimp that is still alive. :(

UPDATE! Here are my water parameters.

PH 8.3
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrate 10 or less
Nitrite 0.0
Temp 79
Salinity 1.021

It turns out the guy at the fish store that helped me yesterday. Said when he told me there was "waste" in my water, it was left over from another test. :twisted: He tested it again and said that they were perfect, as you can see. I also tested them once I got home.

Re: Update On Water Parameters

SharkMan said:
Salinity 1.021
This could be most of your issue. It needs to be raised up slowly over the next week or so to 1.024-1.025. Lower salinity levels are very harmful to inverts on the whole. The easiest means by far is to allow the water to evaporate naturally and top off daily with the higher salinity desired. The increase will be slow and less guessing/work on your part.

Has the LFS tested for trace amounts of copper?

Cheers
Steve

Yes the fish store did test for copper. There was none detected. I actually just got done lowering it, maybe I lowered it a little to far.

Steve is right as always. Lower salinity will hurt your inverts. move it up slowly to 1.025.

Back
Top Bottom