Why Can't I keep Clams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

I have a 90g, I have HQI 14k lamps. My Water parameters are PERFECT and stable.

Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 0, Phosphate = 0, dkh = 17, Calcium = 420.

I bought a blue/purple clam from the LFS it was fully open and happy at the shop, I bring it home it opens only about 1/4" and the mantel doesn't open up, it stays fully inside the shell. It's definity alive, you can see it moving..

I brought it back to the LFS and traded for another clam, The clam Ibrought back is now fully open and happy again at the LFS, and the new one is much the same as the last in my tank. I don't understand why, I'm sure my tank is cleaner and better than theirs.

Please help.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Are you acclimating and how long are you waiting before returning it?

how/how long did u acclimate them and how long did u have them before u took them back?
EDIT: Innovator beat me to it!

They do take some time to fully acclimate. I`m thinking mine took about 3-4 days.

What kind of lighting do they have at the LFS?

Innovator asked two important questions....also, I'll assume that you're talking about a crocea clam or possibly a maxima? A couple other questions to ask.....where did you place it in the tank? Was the clam attached to anything at the lfs? This will sound strange but I'll ask it anyway....did you 'burp' the clam after acclimating it (a rocking motion of sorts to remove any air that may have gotten in the clam)?

Any handy pictures of the clam?

OK, let me try to answer all the questions..

The dKH is 7 (NOT 17), That was a typo!

I belive it is a Crocea Clam.

They were both acclimated for 2 hours via Drip acclimation, neither clam was exposed to the air, I transfered them from the bag to the bucket to the tank submurged.

The first clam had been in my tank for about 5 days before I took him back (I wanted to take him back before he died), Within a few hours he was fully open in the LFS tank.

The Second clam is still in my tank today, it has been about 4 days now.

At the LFS they are in a plastic basket sunk in a shallow coral Vat sort to speak. They are under 14K HQI MH's at the LFS.

I placed the Clams in the middle of the tank, ontop of the sand bed. I tried placing them higher up in the tank on a rock ledge, but by the next morning they end up down on the sand, I'm assuming they are jumping (By Closing their shell quickly).

Again, its a 90g 4' Tank. The Light is a Coralife, uses 2 150w HQI lamps (Which I just replaced last week with 14k Ushio Bulbs), and 2 96w Actinic bulbs which are about 10 months old and are the origional.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Personally I don't think you waited long enough and the more you come in contact with the clam the longer adjustment period; however, any possible fish picking at it? Is it getting indirect flow (shouldn't be direct with the mantle flapping)? Did you check for Pyramid snails? It would be correct to place them on the rockwork since croceas demand more light than the others...just throwing out some randomness :)

I have my clam up on the rocks and have them placed so he cant come off there. Build a rail of rocks around him if you get my drift.

I have not *seen* any fish pay the clam(s) any attention. I do have a coral Beauty which the LFS says may pick on it, But I have not seen that happen..

It's not infront of a powerhead directly or anything, so I don't believe there's too much flow.

What is a Pyramid snail?

-TheChad

I placed the clam on the rock shelf again, and 30 minutes later the clam is back down in the sand.. Only I'm not sure if the clam actually jumped down, or if the snails/crabs are kocking it off the rock. I would think the clam would be too heavy for the snails/crabs to move, but maybe not!?

I can't keep it on the rocks it just ends up back in the sand.

I do have little tiny snails, but not the pyramid type, they are the little round ones, like baby turbo snails or something..

-TheChad

You can try making a bommy with rock fragments on the sandbed for it to attach to and just leave it be for now and see how it reacts. It obviously does not like being up in that part of the rock structure for some reason, but may accustom to other areas.

FWIW I would try to find a place, on the live rock, that you can create an area (using small rubble) like a cup (of sorts) so that the clam sits down it in. I'm thinking that perhaps a fast swimming fish is dislodging it or maybe a crab etc. Once the clam has sat stationary for a few days, it will quickly attach to the rock. Crocea clams should really be placed on live rock.....they secrete an acid to litterally attach to the rock...hence their name of 'boring clam' (not like un-interesting....but like to bore into rock nyuk nyuk nyuk). Try to get the clam higher up on the rock too if possible.

On a side note here.....I have a crocea clam that I swore was part kamikaze. For a week I had to constantly put it back up on the liverock. I could never actually see how it ended up on the sand but every morning there it was. I finally found a good niche to tuck him into and he finally cemented in his byssal threads to the rock and he wasn't going to come off for anything.

Anyway....I would really strongly encourage you to place the crocea high up on the live rock. He'll attach himself before you know it.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom