Why I suck at saltwater :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will setup a qt tonight should I use water from my main fish tank? or just tap water? Also I will leaving work now and will not be able to post untill tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys I will bring test results and the medicine name in tom.

chris

I don't really know if you need to set up a QT at this point. The one fish died and you are not sure why and the tank was at least partially treated with a medication. Unless the other fish begin to show signs I would hesitate to QT them at this point. They have been through quite a bit of stress already, and without knowing an exact cause it could just stress them out even more for no reason possibly. Just be aware of the fact that if you do see visible symptoms of ANYTHING, we can help you set up a QT tank. If you want to assemble the pieces awhile that's fine, <<HERE>> is a link to the articles section that includes quarantine setup and procedures (all the articles would be worth reading too!).

As for the tank right now, I would just get the polyfilter asap and do a whole lot of observing. Specific test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, salinity (or specific gravity), etc. will tell where we go from here.

Hi Chris,

I've been reading these posts with sad sympathy as they all recall some of my earlier days in marine aquaria. I have kept Freshwater aquariums for about 25 years and about 4 years ago decided to try a marine aquaria (atually - extraordinary pressure from my Son). So I settled on a 125 gallon.

I make this post not to provide technical assitance - as it is clear that the posts above seem to be really reasonable and providing you with some great sugestions. But more so to give you some encouragement based on the experience of someone who arrived at the same point. After cycling my 125 with a wonderful Niger Trigger I started adding fish (I foolishly added way too many and too quickly). My losses were extreme and I truely felt awful for the fish and mildly bad for the loss of cash. After months of losing fish I was soon ready to toss the towel in. I approached my LFS and asked if he wanted to buy the whole set-up for a cut rate. He gave me very similar advice as some stuff posted here. In the end my problems were related to PH bounces (I finally got an electronic probe - probabaly the single most important thing I did), ick (due to PH and temp bounces) and macro parasites.

Well the tank was empty at this point and I added only one fish (advice of LFS) - a Naso Tang and with in about 2 weeks it looked like he was going under. The LFS had tested the water - which was ok. They talked me through a freshwater dip. 1 month later he was doing great. After another month he was still great. One more month, I added one more fish. I waited 2 months this time before adding anything again. To my suprise I was finally on my way.

My tank has been very successful since then and a great deal of enjoyment but boy, did I come close bulldozing this tank into a nearby ditch.

Bottom line (and I think some said it earlier), Knowledge - key to success, but certainly a close second - go slow, very, very slow.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom