Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Why I suck at saltwater :(

Ok I finally got some fish to live more than a week. My clowns were alive for about 2 months, one died this week I think from ick. My cleaner shrimp died on monday not sure why, the only thing i can keep alive is my 2 4 stripe damsels and my coral banded shrimp, oh and these little swirly looking worm things. My scooter blenny is really skinny and won't eat, I'm sure he will be dead in a week, and I order a fish online (royal gramma basselet) and it came to me dead twice. Probably should take that as a sign. I'm about ready to give up!!

Old 01-14-2004, 09:31 AM   #2

sorry about the dupe

Old 01-14-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Well your here! So that should help. Do you test your water? What are the levels? If you don't you need to. Basic ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests are all you really need for a FO tank. Ph tests are almost a necessity as well. How or did you cycle your tank? What are you using for filtration? LR/LS or other means? This should give us enough info to get started figuring this out. Also acclimating and quaratine new tank arrivals are vital to success, but I think we need to figure out other stuff before we get there.

R-
Old 01-14-2004, 10:05 AM   #4

well I have about 7lbs of live rock, in a 20 gal tank (I know a bigger tank is easier but my apartment is small) I have 2 hang on back waterfall filters (2 because i like my water really clear) I started with live sand, no protein skimmer but I do weekly 10% water changes. I also test my water every Sunday and all of my levels are fine, I keep the results in a word doc on my home pc and I can post them later. My water temp is 80 degrees, and I have one power head in my tank. I also bought a special light, it goes in the standard hood though not a power compact or anything.

I a personal note my freshwater angel tank is doing really good!!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
How long has the tank been setup? Did you cycle it initially? If your levels are fine then ammonia isn't an issue right? Then for now we can assume the tank is cycled. as for your 2 HOB filters, what are they and what kind of media is in them? Skimming isn't really a necessity if you stay up on your water changes. How are you mixing your salt? By live sand are you reffering to the bagged live sand? lighting isn't a factor unless you want corals or light requiring animals. Are you familiar with having a quarantine system for new arrivals and sick fish? Did you try and medicate?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to help if I can. The more expert members of the forum should remark shortly. Post your test results when you can and what type of tests you are using. If ich was an issue with the clowns it will more than likely be an issue with the rest. Keep an eye on them.

R-
Old 01-14-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just take a breath, stop ordering fish, and stabilize your current system. Read through the concientious marine aquarist from front to back, and adujst the parameters of your current system according to the book.

It will get better, but you have to be really patient and let it stabilize. The CBS and damsels are tough dudes and will most likely survive all of this.

Scooters are not easy to keep for beginners, they need food in the sand. Donate him to a reefer in your area with a DSB fulla bugs.

DOn't be so hard on yourself, just SLOOOOOOOoooooooow down and read, read, read, read. There is an abundance of stuff on this forum to browse through too.

If you stick with it and be very patient, you will have a system one year from now that you can be proud of, it it will still be a "young" tank.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Duplicate post.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=15850

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Yeah the most important thing I've learned (the hard way) was testing your water.. test test test!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #9

I have one Peguin hob filter with a cartridge that has carbon in it and the other is a whisper hob filter same media. Tank has been up for 6 months now I believe, the first cycle was done with my first pair of clowns. Yes to the bagged live sand, and I am mixing the saltwater in a pitcher with a spoon. I use red sea salt. The clown only showed ick signs in the morning, so I thought it was sediment sticking to his mucus coat that he would shed later on in the day. After he died I treated the whole tank for ick.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most Ich meds have copper in them.. If you treated the whole tank with meds that was most likely the cause of the dead cleaner shrimp and things do not bode well for your CBS.. Inverts cannot toleriate copper. So it looks like we have solved that mystery.. you pretty much have eliminated the ability to keep inverts in that tank if you treated it with copper. How quick did you put all of the fish in? In such a small tank if you put in too many too fast it would seem that perhaps the bio load was too much to handle it you have to give it time to adjust. I am no expert though just trying to help I would hate to see someone give up it is so rewarding..

Doan

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com