Why is my astreas snail vibrating against the glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
My astreas snail keeps me awake all night. It only moves from the arm of the power head to feed on algae for an hour or so, then returns back to the power heads arm and wedges it's shell between the arm and glass. (The arm with the suction cup) (Over the power head)

The snail will work it's way around moving left and right until it finds the perfect spot (same spot all the time) until maxium vibration is achived. Then it seems to go unmoved until day break.

I've been forced to turn off the power head at night to sleep. Oddly 2 other snails join this snail after dark to huddle against each other until day break but do not come in contact with the power head.

I've had the snail for 1 year. Always vibrating between the power head and glass.

Is this normal and why? Any ideas?

I`ve never seen that before but I dont see anything out of the ordinary. Snails are snails.

Did you do something to get that snail mad at you? Joke lol
I can't figure that one out. Wow I bet it can get noisey.

why do we seem to congregate around those chairs in the Brookstone store?

Have to shut the power head off at night.

I've added new snails in to the tank. The vibrating snail has quite a following. A large group of snails follow it around the tank attaching them selves to the shell of the vibrating snail. It's getting a lot of attention. But in the wild I doubt a snail can easily find vibration so probably not a mating call, but the other snails follow it like groupies in the vibrating band. This is strange and interesting.

PS the snails that are grouping around it do not attempt to vibrate using the glass and power head.

lol!

2 vibrating snails now.

2 vibrating snails now. Seems to be more common... Found more links about it.

Not mine..
stupid snails on powerhead! - Reeflands Forum

Suction cups and lots of them. Going to fill the gap between the power head and glass. If that fails I can buy a rubber pad at the hardware store and attach it to the powerhead mount and let it hang behind the pw. This way the snails can wedge between the pw and soft suction cups or rubber pad blocking access to the glass.

Still raises the question... Why do they move to this position to vibrate? We may never know.

Back
Top Bottom