Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why is my lion not eatin

Been trying to feed him misis shrimp but he won't take it he ate one of my damsels before I put him in my buddy's tank

Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

try giving him some live food? if that doesn't work try not feeding him and then feed him. he won't starve himself if food is being offered.

-Dylan

Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like what kind of live food. Shrimp, I'm thinking about starting a fry tank so I can have food for him
Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

try that. do some experimenting and research.

-Dylan
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan5359 View Post
try giving him some live food? if that doesn't work try not feeding him and then feed him. he won't starve himself if food is being offered.

-Dylan
that statement isnt entirely true. if he doesnt reconize mysis as food it wont eat it and will starve. little trick i used before is to get some smaller feeders and put them in a net with the live feeders when it all comes out at once the lion can be tricked and eventually will just eat the frozen stuff on its own
Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Never had a lion fish but I think mysis is too small to feed him. I would try somethink live. I`m thinking maybe krill or something much larger than mysis.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of lionfish do you have? Most hunt for food from dusk to dawn so you might try feeding him at night. The hardest part of these fish is getting them to except frozen food. They don't see frozen food as food, so they can starve to death. I have researched them and haven't decided if I can provide the proper care for the one I am looking at. I do know I will make sure it eats frozen food before I lay down my money. Most prefer shrimp to fish so if you are thinking about feeding them live food it will get rather expensive. Do not feed guppies or goldfish apparently they have problems swallowing them either the head or fins can get them problems. Most people don't feed them every day either every 2 to 3 days. Someday I might get myself a dwarf lionfish but not yet there is to much I have to learn first.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.Sedore View Post
that statement isnt entirely true. if he doesnt reconize mysis as food it wont eat it and will starve. little trick i used before is to get some smaller feeders and put them in a net with the live feeders when it all comes out at once the lion can be tricked and eventually will just eat the frozen stuff on its own
Filing that tip away for now. Still researching if I can handle a lionfish myself yet.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

they really are not that difficult before mine got struck by disease it was eating krill silversides whatever id try and feed him. what i do with silversides even when feeding them to my frogfish i take a syringe and inject them right full of mysis or krill crushed marine flake whatever ive got. sometimes it goes bad and they split but most of the time its alright
Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I'm working on my fry tank right now it's a 10g tank. How well do krill do for reproduction?

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com