Why is there ammonia presence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, Hmm, I started a new marine tank last friday, this is my 2nd tank, this is the 4th day of the new tank, I added salt last friday, then I added LS on saturday after ensuring that the gravity is correct. On saturday night, my ammonia alert turns green, means there is ammonia presence, but not at peak. On sunday, I poured in the specific amount of "Fritz Zyme #9", but why there is still ammonia presence on the 4th day? I asked a lot of people, and they said they don't have ammonia presence so fast, is there some thing wrong with my tank? Should I buy LR to let it cycle? Or I should "not" buy LR now? BTW after adding the Fritz Zyme #9, the wool in my filter have some thing like brown brown on it, it could'nt be anything else but bacteria, is it good for them to be there? Are they got stuck there and because of that they could not reduce ammonia level?

i'm not sure what you know about cycling a tank but you should be reading some amonia right now. the ammonia will peak off at about 10 days so it is good to be getting some ammonia. dont get live rock, actually dont do anything. now you just should wait until everything does the necessary peak and dropoff. you probably have about 5 weeks left until the cycle is over.

Isn't it true that we should place in LR to cycle the tank now? If I place in LR later, the ammonia will rise again right? Its so confusing. :?:

mansiz said:
Isn't it true that we should place in LR to cycle the tank now? If I place in LR later, the ammonia will rise again right? Its so confusing. :?:
If you add as much as is affordable right at the beginning of the set up, the rock will help cycle the tank depending on the amount of organic die off. If mostly precured LFS rock, it will most likely need augmenting with a raw shrimp or such. Most rock purchased online would be a better choice. More life and less cost. If you add more rock at a later date, it can easily skew water quality and should be re-cured seperately before placing in the display tank so as not to pollute the tank that would surely have animals by that time. This article should help.
Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!

BTW if I place LR now, it can help me reduce nitrate level right?
The rock will eventually help with NNR but at the beginning it won't be that much help. It takes a few months before you notice any real effect and it will also greatly depend on the final quantity of rock in the tank. If you want the rock to be the primary filtration, you should be looking at about 1½-2 lbs/gal...

Cheers
Steve

Hmm its strange, there is still ammonia presence in my tank, but my NO2 are at peak ( measuring 1.6mg/l ), why is this so? I read the article and it said that NH3 will drop before NO2 is at peak. :?:

Ammoina will be present until sufficient nitrosomonas have formed to convert it. The pesence of NH3 while there is NO2 is normal. Generally speaking, the ammonia should fall quite fast once the NO2 spikes but it is not guaranteed. At this pint I would not be even slightly concerned about it.

Also be sure your test kit is only reading free ammonia (NH3) not total ammonia (NH4).

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom