Wierd algea of death HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongeynip

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, everything has been fine in my tank for 5 months until i got cyano. I treated it and killed it and it was gone for 1 week until the water became greenish. I thought the glass got dirty quick so i cleaned it but it didn't do anything. LFS told me it was suspended algea and gave me "It's Clear". Its working, but the algea grows back so quick. Then i got the phos fix sponge and all it does is stay the same.

this has happened for a week now. I use ro/di water and purified water for topoffs. What is making phosphate jump so quickly. If it shouldn't be phosphate, i do run all lights in my tank for 10 hours.

thanx
-Trent

btw, all water parameters are fine except for phosphate
so i guess the new question is, is that too much lighting, which is 5 watts per gallon

ok, my computer's being a dil, and i cant get to the link. So how much does this phosphate pump cost. Is it a type of filter media? And just out of curiosity, which corals need more than 5 wpg, because ill have to steer away from them. Im still new with the coral thing

thanx
-Trent

Most places have them for around $35. It is a reactor or fluidized bed type chamber that by moving tank water thru the media slowly extends the contact time and surface contact with the media. I however am not using the Phosban media in mine, I'm using ROWA phos. To answer your question on the lighting ......... I keep a variety of corals including softies, LPS, and SPS.
The high wpg is mostly for the SPS like Bird's Nest Seriatopora, Staghorn, and Acropora.

What do you feed the animals in your tank/how often and what additives do you use if any?

Cheers
Steve

I add coral trace elements and i feed enough to cover the fishes' eyes twice a day (although i was feeding much more than that at the beggining of the algea three days ago). I feed 40 drops of Kent Micro-Vert, and also add calcium.

every day i wait for it to clear up, and its still green. im doin everything the lfs says. :roll:

on a side note:

btw, nooooooooooo, not sps corals! So is 5 wpg too low, i do wish to have some of them. I did eventually want cup coral, horn coral, acropora blue, and stylophora eventually. I probably cant get any more lights. Are these out of the question?

you can also do water changes, but I would keep the green water, people feed that to things like brine shrimp, which might be a good way to get rid of it, but I am just guessing here.

What do you keep that would benefit by the micro-vert additions and what corals do you have that need "coral trace elements"? Mostly these additions are algae fuel than anything else. If your "additives" are not being efficiently processed by the system/animals, they become an abundant food store for unwanted algaes.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom