Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Tommy Gun, I'm doing the hyposalinity in the QT, not the main tank.

I'll do more water changes too, that sounds like a good idea.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sorry, didn't realize there were inverts in the tank and I wasn't aware of the plant issues. i just know from my experience in the past, had ich once, with fake plants and no inverts it made sense to use the heat method on the main tank. Worked like a charm. i did use QT for new additions and a sick gourami who never made it. Anywys, another reaso this site is good, lot's of experienced keepers and one can never stop learning.

Mazdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Hey Tommy Gun, I'm doing the hyposalinity in the QT, not the main tank.
Ahhh...sorry about that. I misread your question about the cleaner shrimp.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:06 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaman View Post
sorry, didn't realize there were inverts in the tank and I wasn't aware of the plant issues. i just know from my experience in the past, had ich once, with fake plants and no inverts it made sense to use the heat method on the main tank. Worked like a charm. i did use QT for new additions and a sick gourami who never made it. Anywys, another reaso this site is good, lot's of experienced keepers and one can never stop learning.
Saltwater and freshwater ich are different beasts. I think you're confusing the two. Heat doesn't do anything for SW ich - just so there's no confusion with others reading this. It *may* speed up it's life cycle (like everything else with higher temps), but it won't get rid of it.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:41 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Saltwater and freshwater ich are different beasts. I think you're confusing the two. Heat doesn't do anything for SW ich - just so there's no confusion with others reading this. It *may* speed up it's life cycle (like everything else with higher temps), but it won't get rid of it.
Great points! IMO, raising the temp in a SW tank is also risky because even at the same temperature, saltwater cannot hold as much oxygen as freshwater...which isn't to imply that it can't or shouldn't be done, but only to point out that extra safeguards to help promote gas exchange at higher temps is probably a very good idea.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ummm...does ich just go away? My gramma seems to be losing his spots...like it's almost gone and I haven't done anything.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes and no. The white spots will eventually go away - although new ones form faster than those which fall off. However, the end of the white spot stage is the beginning of Ich's reproductive stage and each white spot could result in hundreds, even thousands of new parasites. This is why it is always suggested to continue treatment long after the white spots are all gone...you simply cannot see ich during its other, non-white spot stages. In fact, when you are treating for ich, you're not really treating the white spots because they are very well protected, but instead, you are treating the parasite when it is free swimming and looking for a host.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, the QT should be up and running soon.

Question, when I'm feeding my fish in the QT, won't it need to cycle?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yes, you will eith have to cycle the tank or seed it with a sponge from your main tank. I do agree, ich will drop off at night and reinfest during the day.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

What do you mean by a sponge?

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com