Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

While I absolutely agree with roka that a cycled q-tank is going to be the best - especially for anyone who is going to perform a treatment such as hyposalinity (or hypersalinity in the case of FW ich) - in those instances where a more immediate quarantine is needed, you can either use filter media (which is what I think roka is suggesting by saying a 'sponge'), or even a piece of live rock to 'clone' the q-tank...or if need be, you can also move ahead without cycling or cloning as long as you are ready and willing to do the additional testing and water changes to combat the problems with ammonia and such that will result. In fact, the main reason I thought this would be good to point out is for those who might be reading this and are thinking about using medicines, especially copper based meds, for treating Ich because in many cases, they will interfere or even kill off the beneficial bacteria anyways...which means cycling or cloning a q-tank somewhat counter productive while at the same time, giving additional importance to not only using a q-tank, but having one before needing one.

Sorry if this reply is a little bit off topic as it may not apply to you entirely Magnus...I have a hard time resisting an opportunity to nudge others in the right direction because I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:24 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

No, that's actually great. And it turns out I have 2 pieces of sponge filter in my main tank now, so I'll use one in my QT and get the cycle going.

Thanks again, you guys rock.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:42 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Didja get the refractometer yet? Can calibrate with distilled water (to zero).

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
giving additional importance to not only using a q-tank, but having one before needing one
Not trying to hijack the thread here, but what's the best way to prepare for something like this? Run an air driven sponge filter in your sump so it's ready for a QT at a moment's notice?

I set up my 10G QT two days ago with a piece of sponge from the sump and this afternoon I had an ammonia reading of .25. There are three fish in the QT and five more in the main tank that I still need to figure out how to treat....
Old 11-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to panza
well i see its been a while so how are the fish doing?!

damsel.
panza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com