Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Will this work as a QT? (gramma has ich) HELP!

Hey everyone,

Bad news...my royal gramma has ich. The tell-tale white "salt" spots have appeared on him. Based on research from this forum, seems a hyposalinity treatment is my best shot. A few questions though:

1. Is the 3 gallon tank pictured ok for a hospital tank? I just need a heater for it. Otherwise, I may have to purchase a new tank.

1a. Do they make a heater for a small tank like this?

2. Do I still feed the gramma while in the tank?

3. How do I acclimatize him to the new salinity, and then when he's cured, how do I get him back to the regular tank?

4. Will the addition of a cleaner shrimp help (not solve) the ich problem in the main tank?

Old 10-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
1. That should work, add a piece of PVC for him to hide and feel safe.
1a. I'm not sure but possibly.
2. Yes.
3. Start the QT as the same salinity as your main and slowly bring down the salinity to 1.009. Once the ich is gone, slowly bring it back up to the same as your main's.
4. Do you have other fish in the main? It is best to let the main go fallow for 6-8 weeks to starve out the ich. If you have fish in the main, I would look into soaking thier food in garlic guard to hopefully boost their immune systems.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, I have a clown fish in the tank as well. Should I put both in the QT?

Also...by soaking with garlic...do you mean mince the garlic and put it in some water with their food, but then remove the garlic?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with what roka said.

They sell garlic extract at your LFS to mix with food, but it's not meant as a cure... just an "appetite stimulant". If you use too much, it'll often confuse the fish. It's also reported to be an immune system booster... but there's really no scientific evidence to support it.

Here's a good article on hyposalinity. Think it tells you everything you need to know:

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

Also... love the picture of the cat waiting patiently for the tank to be stocked. Too funny.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, that's a fantastic article. Ok...I'm going to Big Al's tommorow. I'll get a new hydrometer, as well as see about a small heater for that 3 gallon.

That article mentions 4-6 weeks of treatment, 6 being optimal. Will my gramma and clown be ok in that 3 gallon? Or should I get something slightly bigger? If I do the full 6 weeks, that would also be time to allow any ich in my main to die off right?

Also, if I keep that 3 gallon running, can I use that as a quarantine tank for new fish?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wal Mart sells heaters that will fit in a 3g without a problem.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great. Thanks Onitweak.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another question...ich doesn't affect invertebrates right? Is it ok to add a cleaner shrimp to my tank right now?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Inverts will not be infested by ich.
I highly suggest you buy a refractometer. It will be a lot more accurate and easy to use. It is important when doing hyposalinity. You will find a huge difference between what your hydro measures and the "real" reading of a refracto. The number of the difference may seem small to us but to your critters, it is HUGE.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Wow, that's a fantastic article. Ok...I'm going to Big Al's tommorow. I'll get a new hydrometer, ...
Get a refractometer... you really need the repeatability and accuracy of one when you're doing hypo.

[Edit: Oops... didn't see your post there Scott. Yeah... what he said.]

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com