Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2004, 09:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

With a heavy heart we ask is there ANYTHING we can do??

As some of you know, I had the sandstorm monday and everything finally calmed down. I came home yesterday to white spots all over my little tang and on the tips of the fins on my flame angel.. Today the angel looks better but my tang has cloudy eyes and for the first time is not overly interested in food. He ate some but not with his usual vigor. I have had a Qt up now for about two weeks thinking that a problem was imminant when I first got my tang.. I had tried in vain for 2 nights to catch him, couldn't, let it go all was fine.. Last night I again spent about 2 hrs trying to catch them to get them to QT after seeing the spots and it didn't work.. Today I was bound and determined I FIlled two 5 gallon jugs which is all I have with saltwater and started pulling out rock well needles to say the fish just kept hiding lower and lower.. and after basically flooding my living room, with my wife crying over our sick fish and the mounting frustration over not being able to catch them due to running out of places to put rock we even put some in the qt we have to give up.. It is just stirring up the tank all over agian taking stuff out putting it in moving it around.. This is all to no avail.. Is there ANYTHING that anyone has had success with that is Reef safe that I can TRY.. I am willing to try the wife has told me to do what I can. (I am Stunned she likes the fish this much I never knew the tears really caught me off guard) So I changed out the water I had in the buckets so I did a 10 gallon change on a 55 so it was prolly a 20-25 percent waterchange. Is there any hope they can fight this off on their own?? Is there anything I can do.. I am beginning to feel that the harder I try the worse it is on them.. I turned up my temp to 80 and am open to suggestions or even words of hope that mabye someone had their fish pull through when faced with a similar situatuion.

Doan and Wife

Old 01-23-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
It is just stirring up the tank all over agian taking stuff out putting it in moving it around..
It is not the sand storm that got your fish, it is the temp drop and then rise. The swing weakened the fish.

Quote:
Is there any hope they can fight this off on their own??
Yes, but it is highly unlikely, especially in a newer system.

Quote:
Is there anything I can do..
Continue trying to catch it. Leave the net in the tank, use a piece of acrylic to try and block the tang into a corner, keep trying to catch it. In all probability, the qt is the only hope for the fish. You really need to do all the fish i the system and leave the tank fishless for a month.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm still sticking with the use of cleaners in the tank. I'm not the only person that thinks this way I am sorry to hear that you are still battling ich. Try running a search on (marine ich lifespan) most of the advice will tell you hyposalinity to rid ich, but you still will want cleaners to keep it at bay. Worth a shot to get those fish out is try using a air pump and airline tubing and shove the airline down in the rock where the fish is at and have someone plug in the pump the fish will run out so be ready, my fish only fell for this 3 times then we started using a maxijet 1200 at 1 end and a huge net at the other. ! last thing that has worked is buying a cheap 1 gallon plastic critter keeper with lid submerge this in your tank with lid open and food inside wait for fish to eat the close lid and remove. Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ohhhh my cleaner shrimp is eating like a king

LoL

Doan
Old 01-23-2004, 11:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to cajunbaby75
you wont have the rock out long you can lay out towels or trash bags as long as they are moist they will be fine will give you time to get him out sorry to hear your problems i am going thru the tail end of ich with a few secondary infections from it ! 6 weeks and 4 fish later we are finally getting everything back to normal

i feel your pain hope this helps and good luck
Old 01-24-2004, 01:16 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
just take all the rock out and catch the darn fish!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com