Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Exclamation Woke up to dead CUC!!!!

I woke up this morning to find all of my snails upside down at the bottom of my tank. My cleaner shrimp is laying on his side on his last legs. Clowns are sticking to the bottom of the tank and not coming out of their hiding places. Just tested my water, results are as follows:

Temp - 80
Ph - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0

I am battling a minor Ich problem. Using Microbe-lift Herbtana. Obviously copper free, reef safe. Had recent additions on Monday, the peppermint, cleaner shrimps, kenya tree, and a hatian condy. None of these should cause such an issue? My 2 hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp don't seem to notice a change.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How long has your tank been up and cycled? That herbtana will most likely do nothing, it can't actually kill the ich infestation, might help get some ich off the fish but not out of the tank. :-(

Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

On my second month of setup. Cycled for one month. I know it will not kill the ich, working with dips in an attempt to help my clowns. Got the ich from LR I got from petco...really upset about it. Ever since the addition it seems nothing will survive in my tank. But 20 snails came in on the LR from petco and they were all dead this morn along with my cleaner shrimp.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How did you cycle? It's just odd to see 0 nitrates in a new tank is why i ask.

How did you acclimate your new purchases?

I'm kinda at a loss as snails and hermits are usually VERY hardy and it takes alot for them to just die off....

Also concerned about the condy, they really have no place in a newly setup tank. I speak from experience too. lol I got one like the 2nd month in too but ended up returning it about 2 months later. they get huge and can eat fish so I was like, "I'm out" lol back it went with no credit even just wanted it out of my tank/
Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Cycled via 50lbs LR and shrimp.

My new guys were acclimated via temp acclimation and adding some of my main tank's water to their bag over maybe an hour/hour half.

As for the condy, I'm aware of their problems...but right now it won't matter if nothing else will live in my tank. I really want a bubble tip...but I look at the fact I spent 200 bucks on my tank this week and the only things left standing are the condy and my kenya tree.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know it can be discouraging, I had a plague take out 6 of my fish in less than a week and lost a few hundred $$. :-(

I'm really at a loss to why you had deaths, the only other thought I have is if there is copper in your tank somehow...not sure if your tank is new or used so thats they only thing I can come up with. maybe your lfs can test for copper if you dont have the test kit?

If it was me I would do a water change and recheck the parameters. Water changes can never hurt really so thats always a good first step.

How big is your tank anyways? Just curious...

Buck up though, dont get discouraged it happens and it's just a matter of finding out the why so you can address any issue.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

36 gal. I just did a 10% water change on Sunday! Copper is the only test kit that I do not have, but how would I have copper when I used pre-mixed salt water and distilled?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Copper can leech into rocks and the actual tank itself. If you got the tank used the previous owner could have dosed with copper....But if it's a new tank you got then I'm once again at a loss...Thats the only thing other than high parameters that could cause your livestock to die off so quickly in my opinion anyways...

Hopefully some one else may come along with another suggestion..

Wish i could have been of more help. But I'd still check out the copper idea. if you got your rock at petco theres no telling if the rock was exposed to copper....
Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yeah...all week I have been throwing my anti-petco voice out across this board in my posts. Even had a guy from petco back me up lol.

But yeah, I was so proud of how well things were going
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was absolutely devastated when I lost my 6 fish to an unknown reason and considered giving all my tanks up as I had not had a single death up to that point and everything else had gone so well. Just dig your heels in and try to find the solution. Or at least get by the issue and move forward. There so many things in saltwater that are glorious but theres also the dark side...lol

See if you can get to petco ot another lfs with a sample and see about the copper.

One other thing though, did your snail shells have any holes through them? I accidentally got a conus snail and he literally killed my entire cuc and he would pierce the snails shells and kill them. Unlikely but still a possibility considering where you got your rock...

Tags
cuc, dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com