Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

wonder about getting rid of a new fish

ok i just put my first fish in the tank. i bought 5 damsils like a week ago 2 blue with yellow tails and one all blue and black and white zebra stripped one but one is all black and has 2 white dots on it. he is the one that has a white dot on his clear fin. then 2 days later i reconized a white dot on the side of one of his eyes then today a white dot is on the other eye . so i wonder if its ick ?? but should i just take him out and flush him? id appreciate any advice. got a picture scroll down.

thanks

Old 02-08-2004, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to freshwatergal
Don't flush him! I don't know a single thing about SW fish, but I know that you don't flush a fish just cause he's sick. Im sure there is a treatment or something out there that you can use.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

ya but this is the beginning of my tank dont really want a sick fish in it. i dont know anyone else got an idea?
Old 02-08-2004, 10:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not very good with diagnosing sick fish as I hardly have any experience with them. But I can take a shot.

I think there are two possibilities here. First off, is you tank cycled? Are there any detectable ammonia levels? If so, this may be the problem. Ammonia can easily burn the eyes, gills, and fins of a fish. If your ammonia is fine, then I would suspect "Popeye" or similar bacteria infection of the eye. To treat you would have to QT the fish and administer broad spectrum antibiotics.

I don't belive it to be ich. Looks way to large and I don't see any other indicators for ich on the rest of the body.

That is really all the help I can offer. I am sure someone else who is extremely knowledgeable in this area will jump in (Steve-S hint hint)...
Old 02-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok well so i should get him out of the tank? will he give it to my other fish? will he contaminate the rest of the water in the tank?
Old 02-08-2004, 10:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes he should be removed and QT immediately.

Moving to Sick Fish forum

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com