Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I also received my refractometer today and tested my salinity...it is at 1.026.
You can lower that with a PWC, over time. I have mine set at 1.022, right now, although I am not too sure how that would effect corals. I decided to lower mine after reading a post about how it is much easier on the fish and could possibly hamper the spread of disease.... You could just get a 10-20G tank for a QT, or use the tupperware.

How do you like that refracto? My hydro was waaaay off!

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well no change in my clown....he is still not eating. I tried to get him out to QT him but he still is pretty quick when you try to get him. He hides behind my rock at the back of the tank.

Well I am in the early stages of picking out and setting up a 75 Gallon tank. I think I am going to use my 26 as a QT, but I may go out and pickup a 10 gallon just to have it on hand for an emergency.

I love the refractometer...it is so easy to use and easy to get a accurate reading.

Also today my Royal Gramma injured herself. She got spooked durning feeding and ran for cover in the rocks and scratched her head. I can see some of her purple scraped off and hanging on to her still. It does not look like a deep wound so i am hopinbg she will heal with no issues.

SW-FLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My clowns started spending a little more time hiding after adding a somewhat active parrotfish. Any time he starts moving about, they tend to go hide behind my overflow, for a minute or two.
180G build thread

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
You have to try to get him to come to the surface.. If he eats thats usually the best way.. then just flick the net right over him..
My blenny just died today.. he was even eating a bit too.. but this is the time you might still be able to save that clown, later on he'll be all out of energy and just die.
You gotta get him out of there, and maybe he will get better if he's by himself in a tank. My clownfish was similar to what you describe when I bought him, he slowly got better and his appetite grew and now he's happier than ever before.

You also have to consider it's stressful to move him, especially now that he has barely any energy left.. he could give out his last ounce of energy running away from the net..

Another thing you could try to do is remove the LR you added, maybe that had something to do with it.. and do a lot of water changes. This is a lot of work.. I understand you care about the fish.. when I went to the LFS they told me its cheaper and easier to just let my blenny die.. I still tried to get him better but it was too late. You might still have a few days.. I read somewhere than he could go 7 days without food.. maybe longer.

Also, what are you feeding him? I just noticed that I was feeding my blenny "expired" algae.. I thought it was brown algae, but it was actually green that was so old it had turned color. I can't believe the LFS sold me that stuff like that.. I don't really know if that had anything to do with the fish dieing, but I dont think extremely old algae was good for him..
euro_Boy_To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #15
I have done a number of water changes....my water is good....all of my coral and other fish seem fine. I do not want him to die but I tried twice to get him out with no luck. He is still pretty quick and I do not want to stress out the rest of my tank by taking all of my rock out to try and catch him.

He is going on 6 days now without eating.....I feed them a varied diet of frozen misis shrimp, frozen formula one (was my clowns favorite) and pellets which he also loved.

The problem is my tank is only 26 Gal and I have it pretty full of rock and coral so it is not easy to move a net around in my tank.

I will try one more time to get him out.

Thanks all for the comments, I will keep you posted.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I hope it all goes well for you...

There's really not much you can do in a situation like this unfortunately.. and it really sucks.. I just went through the same thing.

When I went to the store they gave me this stuff called Erythromicin, it's a broad antibiotic,.. maybe your clown has some kind of internal disease?If it does that would cure it... but there's no way to get him to take that stuff unless he eats it/soak his food in it.

The guy there said I might try to just catch him and stick the drops bottle right in his mouth.. it would be very difficult to actually achieve this though and not very fun for the fish or you.

I don't know if fish can "eat" stuff by breathing it? I heard from one LFS they can.. if so you can get a small container and put him in that container with a few drops of that medicine so he can breathe it in. That's basically the last ditch effort..

You say he's pretty fast still, that's a good sign.. means you still might have enough time to save him.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #17
Well I can home from work today and found my clown wedged under a rock. He is still alive, and I was able to get him out. I have him in a large tubberware container but I do not think he has long to live. The only med I had was Mela Fix so I put some of that in the water and a bit of food but I think it is too late.....I will let you know how it goes....
Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular
See if you can get some Erythromicyn.. the LFS told me it cures a lot of internal dieseases.. it's good to have around just in case too, even if you buy it and it's too late.

It looks like MelaFix won't do anything from the description I found of it..
You need a powerful antibiotic at this point.

Let us know what happened.

clown, clown fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com