Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow! Tough loss!

Hello all,

I went away for 6 days and when I got home, all the aquarium lights were out including my AC at home. Somehow the circuit that controls the lights and AC failed. Needless to say, the tank temperature got to 89.7 and all my three shrimps (two cleaners and a blood shrimp) are nowhere to be found (presumed dead). All the corals shrivered up and even after 12 hours of light, they are still not recovering. There are black spots on the trunk of one of the colt corals and it is still leaning to one side. Both of my Xenias shrunk and although they are not dead, they refuse to open up. All my fish are OK and oddly, the peppermint shrimps are still alive and got really big in size. Water chemistry is OK at this point. Please advise me on what to do at this point. Thanks, DP

PS: Are the cleaner and blood shrimp that sensitive to the temperature at 89.7 degrees while the peppermints are OK? I am still hoping they are molting and hiding somewhere. DP

Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would do some frequent PWC`s to get things back to normal. There might be some things wrong with the water that your water test cant pick up. I remember this happening to someone else and he was able to recover with frequent PWC`s.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I would do some frequent PWC`s to get things back to normal. There might be some things wrong with the water that your water test cant pick up. I remember this happening to someone else and he was able to recover with frequent PWC`s.
So you think it is the water chemistry that caused the loss of shrimps and corals? Can they survive in 89.7 degrees and no lights for 6 days? I just did the PWC change (20 gallons) a few days before I left. DP
Old 06-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

One thing you need to understand is that the higher the temp the less the oxygen content. Alot of problems can be contained and solved with frequent PWC`s. You cant be afraid to do them. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
One thing you need to understand is that the higher the temp the less the oxygen content. Alot of problems can be contained and solved with frequent PWC`s. You cant be afraid to do them. JMO
I fully agree. That's why I do PWC every two weeks with 20 gallons. My Nitrate never gets above 5. Lately, I have been giving plankyton liquid (10 ml) for the corals everyday as advised by the LFS so now I have to keep an eye on the Nitrate. DP

Tags
loss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com