Wow, Trigger. . .what Big eye you have!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adw77380

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Undulated Trigger. . .think had fin rot. (kinda milky clouds on fins, and some shreds). Now, he has one eye that is really cloudy and larger than his other eye.

Unfortunately i cant take pics cause he keeps hiding from me (so much for that "bad" guy attitude he is supposed to have). Plus, have to med the display tank, cant really catch trigger with 120 lbs of LR in tank. Plus when i introduced him to the tank in Sept. . .he got really stressed (dont want to kill him). Well during this time, I have used Melafix and Pimafix, cut off the skimmer, feeding shrimp with garlic. Fins look much better, but eye looks funky.
Other tank mates are just fine, but did lose my anmone last weekend, couldnt find it to take out, and my lunare wrasse died (flashing a lot and chasing his tail) This is when i got concerned and started reading up on diseases and such. Never had problems with my 55 gallon. . .but gosh i think i hate this 72.

Any suggestions?

Tank info.: Ph 8.2, Ammonia 0, Phosphates 0-2, Nitrite .25, Nitrate 20, temp 78 (taken after already medicating). Oh yeah, my salinity is right at 1.028 (being retarded used saltwater in sump for evaporation, wasnt thinking). I am trying to get that down, probably water change today.

adw77380 said:
Nitrite .25, Nitrate 20,
Nitrite should be undetecatble, with only 20 ppm nitrate, I'd get that verified.

I am trying to get that down, probably water change today.
Do a few water changes over the next week. Be sure the SW is aged & aerated for a good 24 hrs. With only one eye affected, it's most likely an injury or mild bacterial infection. Melafix and Primafix are not very effective IME. By doing the water chnages you will reduce any organics feeding the bacteria which will improve the fish's ability to heal this itself. Also be sure you make sure the foods are fotified with a proper marine vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]. The garlic is a great antioxidant but it won't do as much as you think.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, I am doing a 15 gallon water change tonight. PLus, I am going to do the next to impossible. . .catch the trigger. I broke down and got a quarantine tank. . .I feel bad for the little bugger. I set it up tonight, so I am letting it filter and heat, probably put him in tomorrow.

I am going to have to move the rocks into a cooler or something, as much needed to catch him. Will this bother the environment in the main tank. I also purchased some Marycyn II (however you spell it). LFS suggested it. . .they could have just gotten to spend more money though.

adw77380 said:
Thanks, I am doing a 15 gallon water change tonight. PLus, I am going to do the next to impossible. . .catch the trigger. I broke down and got a quarantine tank. . .I feel bad for the little bugger. I set it up tonight, so I am letting it filter and heat, probably put him in tomorrow.
Setting up the QT is a great idea, however I would leave the trigger be for now and see what the repeated (3-4) water changes accomplish. Be sure to change about 15-20 % each time. More often than not, it will be all that is needed.

I am going to have to move the rocks into a cooler or something, as much needed to catch him. Will this bother the environment in the main tank.
Not really, it may stir up some detritus and stress any other fish some but it will be short lived.

I also purchased some Marycyn II (however you spell it). LFS suggested it. . .they could have just gotten to spend more money though.
If the water changes do not show some result after about 7-10 days or the bulging gets much more pronounced then the Maracyn II would be a good option. Once QT'd dose twice the recommended amount each day for 7 full days. No need to cycle the QT either, the antibiotic will destroy the biofilter. Just be sure you get the parameters as close as possible and be sure there is plenty of aged SW at hand. The QT's water quality won't be very hospitable.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you so much.

This is obviously the first time I have had a "sick" tank. And yes, I thought I might as well have a tank, no matter what. So, I will go with your suggestion and do water changes and see if that helps. Poor thing was really flashing this afternoon.

Okay. . . . .

Changed 6 gallons last night, and another 6 gallons tonight. Trigger seems to be swimming around in open more.

Will update in 3-4 days.

Thank you for your help. Im sure my fishies appreciate it.

Well. . . .thank goodness didnt try anything to harsh. . . .Sketch is doing much better. Fins are almost 100% and his eye is almost all clear.

Thank you SO much. :D

Back
Top Bottom