Wrasse acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
Please help! My six line is acting very lethargic and I think he ate two of my blue legs because there's empty shells ): I'm going to quarantine him right now because I don't want him to die.
He is usually seen swimming in and out of his favorite rock, but right now he is motionless and hiding at the bottom of the tank.

I just added some new live rock so I'm not sure if that is disturbing him, or if he is just full from potentially eating my crabs?

IMG_4699.jpg he is laying under my air tube, but he's not in his favorite rock. He is breathing just fine, but I'm not sure if he is either too full from eating my crabs or is bothered by me adding rock

My hermit crabs also just molted, but their shells are empty. Could they be hiding? Or do you think the wrasse got to them and that's why he is acting this way?

Can you tell us more about the system? How long were these creatures in the system? How were they acclimated?
It sounds to me like there is something going on in the system parameter wise. A fish lying on the bottom is not normal behavior and if not addressed can lead to death. I would suggest large water changes to deal with the issue.

They have been in my tank for about a month. We're drip acclimated for about an hour.
My water levels are all fine, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, about 9ppm nitrates

He seems to be doing alright now, back to his lively self. I think he may have been either stressed because I added new live rock or full because I think he ate my hermit crabs.
He is eating and exploring as per usual, but I am going to keep a closer eye on him and do water changes more frequently

A 6 line isn't going to be able to eat a hermit crab. They eat things like pods and mysis shrimp, which makes them lack the essentials to eat something as large as a hermit.
Either way, glad things are squared away.

I've seen mine take out a cleaner shrimp one time, never happened agian though and now I have two in my tank. Sixlines are some of the craftiest fish I've ever delt with. I've owned mine for about 4 years, and he's still a small bugger but he holds his own against bulling, though I have to separate him before I add any new fish to my tank.

When I first got him, he was in my then nano reef, a 10g. He was my first fish and apparently I had an abundance of pods cause he ate so much with in the first day his scales where pine conning. I thought he was gonna die but he was fine.

They like to lay still in the night, they form a mucus sleeping bag and will not nice unless disturbed
I have found these sleeping bags every where, from between rocks to under my mag flow scrubber.

That makes me feel a LOT better! He has a favorite rock which he always sleeps under so maybe I'll find one there!

Thank you !

Back
Top Bottom