Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

WTH was that?!?!

So I just dumped a bunch of anti-biotics in my tank to kill off all the ****ed Cyano... so I'm checking the tank off and on to see if it's going away (and to see if everything else is still alive) The Cyano killed off all my pods and bristal worms... grrrr...

But when I just turned my light on (it had been off for about an hour) I noticed this transparent tube coming out of a whole in my LR... it was about 4 or 6 inches long and was reaching up to where there was some depris on the rock and picking the stuff up. Then it kinda turned and looked at me... and slowly retracted back into it's hole. It definately wasn't a bristle worm... It was a tenticle for sure... and it was picking something up for gods sake... That's scary... any ideas what it was?

Old 05-20-2004, 04:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, I got a picture of it... it's only about an inch or 2 long in this picture... it was in the process of retracting back into its hole because I had just turned the light on. It's the long worm looking thing in the middle of the pic...
Let me know if you know what it is...

Old 05-20-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Looks like a peanut worm. I have quite a few living in my lr.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gross!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
ANTIBIOTICS!?! Ok (settling down now....breathing...becoming less dizzy), please don't take this the wrong way but what possessed you into putting anti-biotics in your tank? Please again understand I am not flaming you more than I am in shock. Is this a fish only tank? Most antibiotics contain copper which is bad news for inverts and corals. This is most likely the culprit for the loss of pods. Cyano won't kill off your critters directly. What type of antibiotics did you use?

A few more ponts real quick: Treating your cyano outbreak with antibiotics won't fix it, but delay it. There is a reason you have it (i.e. excessive nutrients). If your meds did indeed have copper in it, your rock is now loaded with it.

Again, I am probably giving a knee jerk reaction and have to intent to offend. Just want to see what's what.

R-
Old 05-20-2004, 10:04 AM   #6

Yep, big mistake... I did treat a bacterial infection in my main, but it was copper free. None of my inverts died, and its all removed now with carbon, and skimming. It did kill all the micro in my tank (which many would consider a good thing) my tangs didn't appreciate it to much. Ill never treat the main again either.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with six-line and sumphead. Treating the main with any meds is bad new. It doesn't address the cause, which you need to do.
I am in a battle with cyno and the key is nutrient removal. More efficient skimming, better water movement (adding powerheads) , more frequent water changes with clean r/o water, switching to r/o water if you are using tap, siphoning off what you can get frequently, straining the packing fluid from the frozen food, cutting back on feeding, etc.... These are the things that will help.
I am doing the above and things are improving. Quick fixes are usually bad news. The worm is probably stressed, thats why he is showing himself.
Good luck
Old 05-20-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

SO ANYWAY, what is the worm thing?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:14 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt
Looks like a peanut worm. I have quite a few living in my lr.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

lol, sorry, the mass of flames clouded my vision...

Peanut worm? Do I gotta buy peanuts now?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com