WTH was that?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pain Devine

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just dumped a bunch of anti-biotics in my tank to kill off all the damned Cyano... so I'm checking the tank off and on to see if it's going away (and to see if everything else is still alive) The Cyano killed off all my pods and bristal worms... grrrr...

But when I just turned my light on (it had been off for about an hour) I noticed this transparent tube coming out of a whole in my LR... it was about 4 or 6 inches long and was reaching up to where there was some depris on the rock and picking the stuff up. Then it kinda turned and looked at me... and slowly retracted back into it's hole. It definately wasn't a bristle worm... It was a tenticle for sure... and it was picking something up for gods sake... That's scary... any ideas what it was?

Ok, I got a picture of it... it's only about an inch or 2 long in this picture... it was in the process of retracting back into its hole because I had just turned the light on. It's the long worm looking thing in the middle of the pic...
Let me know if you know what it is...

worm.jpg

ANTIBIOTICS!?! Ok (settling down now....breathing...becoming less dizzy), please don't take this the wrong way but what possessed you into putting anti-biotics in your tank? Please again understand I am not flaming you more than I am in shock. Is this a fish only tank? Most antibiotics contain copper which is bad news for inverts and corals. This is most likely the culprit for the loss of pods. Cyano won't kill off your critters directly. What type of antibiotics did you use?

A few more ponts real quick: Treating your cyano outbreak with antibiotics won't fix it, but delay it. There is a reason you have it (i.e. excessive nutrients). If your meds did indeed have copper in it, your rock is now loaded with it.

Again, I am probably giving a knee jerk reaction and have to intent to offend. Just want to see what's what.

R-

Yep, big mistake... I did treat a bacterial infection in my main, but it was copper free. None of my inverts died, and its all removed now with carbon, and skimming. It did kill all the micro in my tank (which many would consider a good thing) my tangs didn't appreciate it to much. Ill never treat the main again either.

Agree with six-line and sumphead. Treating the main with any meds is bad new. It doesn't address the cause, which you need to do.
I am in a battle with cyno and the key is nutrient removal. More efficient skimming, better water movement (adding powerheads) , more frequent water changes with clean r/o water, switching to r/o water if you are using tap, siphoning off what you can get frequently, straining the packing fluid from the frozen food, cutting back on feeding, etc.... These are the things that will help. :wink:
I am doing the above and things are improving. Quick fixes are usually bad news. The worm is probably stressed, thats why he is showing himself.
Good luck

Pain Devine said:
lol, sorry, the mass of flames clouded my vision...
Don't recall seeing any "flames" in the sense that some may mean. I did see very much useful and correct info though :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Dude they were just trying to help you and it also helps to do research....
Pain Devine wrote:
lol, sorry, the mass of flames clouded my vision
hahah not funny :|

I think you learned a lesson about quick fixes. The peanut worm is checking out his surroundings like it's, The Day After. 8O

Back
Top Bottom