Xenia coral healthy but with bumps on the stalk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyshrooms

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My xenia coral has been in my tank for 7 weeks now and has been doing great but i have noticed some white bumps coming up on one of the stalks. Is this a problem i should be treating? Tested water paramaters today and all is well. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some pics would be nice. Do you have any fish in with the xenia? What kinds? Are the white bumps near the base of the coral? Because if they are you may be seeing the sclerites, which are the sort of filamentous, rigid bone-like structure that many soft corals rely on for shape. Fish sometimes brush up against the Xenia and wear down the outer later so that the sclerite is visible. Other times, the water contains either too much or too little of a certain element that causes a similar effect. Those are really just guesses for the time being. Pics really would help. :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416889945.001102.jpg this is the xenia it is healthy and looking good fully stretched and pulsing. Water parametrs zeros across the board and i have 2 snowflake clowns and a bar goby right now plus a cleanup crew in. 38 gallon tank

Looks nice and healthy - meaning that it's not a sclerite issue. :) have you noticed either of your clowns brushing up against it? That can cause lesions on the coral dermis. If not, might I ask how long you've had your tank running? Is the Xenia a new introduction? Sometimes white bits like that indicate a lack of some crucial trace elements.

I havent seen my clowns brush against it and ive had the tank about 2 months

The xenia is about 1 week new

Maybe the fact that it's new would explain it. Back when I had my Xenia, it had white patches like that when I put it in the tank. Hopefully it'll clear up. There's not much you can do, other than keep water parameters pristine :) if it's not affecting growth then I wouldn't be too concerned. Keep your eye on it, though.

Do you dip your corals before they go in the tank?

Personally, I never have, but I've heard lots of good reviews on SeaChem coral dip, Revive, and CoralRX. Perhaps, when I have more money for new frags, I'll try out some dips. :) see how your Xenia is doing in a week or so, and then maybe try dipping it.

I did not dip and i woke up this morning and the dots were gone so thats good news

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417989178.187850.jpg
Those bumps might be the Xenia about to spread. Here's a pic of my only Xenia. The taller colony on the right used to be on the left, attached. I cut it and moved it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Cool!! Thanks for the advice

These Xenia are spreading a lot! Those bumps like you see in your photo are just their way of propagating, soon you will be weeding them like me?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom