Xenia dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got a stronger powerhead and placed the Xenia on the opposite side of the tank and it got a lot of flow. When I came home today, it was shriveled up and the heads were discolored. I placed it on the sandbed in a low flow area. Was that the right thing to do?

needmorecowbell said:
I recently got a stronger powerhead and placed the Xenia on the opposite side of the tank and it got a lot of flow. When I came home today, it was shriveled up and the heads were discolored. I placed it on the sandbed in a low flow area. Was that the right thing to do?
.... it may take days for things to readjust to a new area,..there also may be a lighting issue going on in that new location..too much, not enough??? .. You could always move it back to its old location if all else fails,...sometimes,it's just a trial and error procedure ,..what size powerhead did you switch out?

I was going to get a koralia 750 but heard it was strong and went with a 550. The lighting isnt a problem in the old area nor the new. This is where i put it when ifirst got it. Is it hardy enough to survive all that? It seems pretty bad but im new to this.

I wish I could be more help but I'm not a pro when it comes to Xenia...I'm sure there's alot of knowledgable Xenia folks out there that'll chime in with some good advice ....sorry..., btw what's your real name ?

Mine suddenly died was dead for almost a year and then a month ago it decided to come back to life. It has since taken over the whole rock like a weed!!! This doesn't help you but I thought I'd share anyways! LoL. They like to just sway in the current IME. Nothing powerful. Just enough to move around slowly.

Alright thanks for the advice. Mine is starting to gain color but the heads are still discolored. Is this a good sign? I'll most likely put it in a different area although it looked like it was supposed to be where I had it. Wish they were easier to place..

I've had Xenia closed up for over a month. It lost most Colour & form. Everyone thought it was dead, but it's now back to life, good as new.

I bought some live rock for my cycle and it came with some cool stuff on it. One of the pieces of rock had some xenia on it its suprisingly doing fine. I have it in the middle with moderate flow...

MikeYQM said:
I've had Xenia closed up for over a month. It lost most Colour & form. Everyone thought it was dead, but it's now back to life, good as new.

Good to know, It has it's color mainly back, but it's still closed up. I don't think it's going to be nearly as nice as what it used to be but at least it's still there. It's ashame, it was my favorite coral along with my acan.

Mine were similar but worse. The 'fingers' were balled so tight, they appeared to be fused into a ball. It sat like that for a few weeks then gradually one arm at a time started opening & pulsing then color came back, then became less and less retracted. Good as ever now.

Maybe it's a feeding issue? How often do you feed and what do you use (if you target feed at all).

I use mysis maybe twice a week. It didn't do this until I got a big powerhead and I'm pretty sure it was blown on too much. I didn't see it after I placed it there for about 13 hours. I think that would be plenty of Time for damage to occur under the ph.

Was it directly in line to the powerheads? Mine get strong indirect flow from a vortech but it hasn't hurt them. Even though the whip around pretty good.

Mine occured due to a hyposalinity state I accidentally caused with an uncalibrated Refractometer. Salinity was down to about 1.012 for a few hours before I caught it & brought it up slowly.

It was directly in flow of the ph. Now it isn't. The smaller piece is now healthy but the mother colony isnt looking any better:

Back
Top Bottom