Xenia experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been recieving some great advice on this from Brenden; thanks for your help. But I decided to post about it because it's kind of an important issue. Obviously, if my xenia crashes, that's a bad thing so i want to make sure i avoid that.

The entire 3-4 months i've had this stuff, it's look awesome.....and continues to grow fairly quickly. Then about 2 weeks ago, it just didn't look 'as good'. It didn't look like it was going to die but stalks of the xenia looked shriveled. I recently switched salts from Reef Crystals to Oceanic and I thought maybe that was the reason. I also added some more corals about the same time...but i'm less suspicious of that being the cause. So, I dosed some iodine just a few times because i don't have a test kit for it...but i knew that if i only doesed a little bit, there's no harm done. So far, it's been maybe a week now since i did the first iodine treatment and the xenia looks better but not completely. The picture will show you one of the stalks, labeled as "good", that has come around and looks like it's improved....then there's one labeled "bad" which hasn't improved or worsened.

140695775.jpg

So, my quesiton is, what does this look like to you guys? Am i over reacting and this isn't a big deal? Or is there a reason for the xenia stalks looking shriveled? The poylps still extend as normal it's maily just the stalks that look bad.

TIA

What is your PH? Oceanic is notorious for low PH. If iodine seemed to help I would either purchase a test or see if the LFS will test it for you. If it is low then continue the dosing.

Looks like hydroids have settled near it.

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• 140695775_659.jpg
    140695775_659.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 51
steve-s said:
Looks like hydroids have settled near it.

Cheers
Steve

Hydroids as in the white spiral things? Or you mean something else? Is it a bad thing?

what is the best way someone would go about ridding their system of these? I have some as well, and they are very close to a group of zoanthids and mushrooms and seem to be spreading easily.

Back
Top Bottom