Xenia help....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I got some xenia last night, I put it in the tank and it started pulsing right away, today it's not pulsing as strong, almost not at all and the pinnules on the tentacles of the polyps are withdrawn. Any ideas? The colony over all is more open today, and I think it looks better than yesterday, but it kinda worries me about the pinnules. I have never kept xenia before, it is in a tank with lots of waterflow (20L w/hagen 302, rio 400 and Maxijet 1000), it is a few inches from the surface a little off center from a 175W MH and 2X28W PC. The reefer I traded with had it under a 250W MH, also just a few inches from the surface.

Here are a couple of pics of what it looks like today
Today
xenia5.jpg

Today
xenia6.jpg

Yesterday
xenia1.jpg

Yesterday
xenia4.jpg

Yeah, it looks a little sick. You're right, it's not too much light, that's where mine are. Pulsing is inversly proportional to the amount of current. They should be fully inflated tho and still pulsing although not as much. I'd give it a day or so. The stuff should grow to pest proportions soon.

Mark

Hi Kev,

Can you give me your
PH readings morning and evening
ALK
Ca

The light is fine

IMO Xenia prefer a light to moderate current.

Aaron could be correct about acclimating to a new environment. It doesn't look ill, just PO'd

Guy

Unfortunately it will be tomorrow before I can get an AM ph, mid day is 8.2, I will test the CA and ALK tomorrow, Mon. they were CA 470, and ALK 17 DKH. I did a 5 gallon water change after the readings, so the numbers should be different.

I'll get the CA this afternoon (although it should be around 460-470, but the AM ph was 8.0, the ALK was 16 DKH (5.71 meq/L). While I am one of those that believes in maintaining a high ALK, this is a little higher than I like. It was doing fine until I started dosing Kalk. Guess I'll stop (I should point out, after Mon. reading, I cut back the amount of Kalk I was dripping to 1/4 evap vs all evap) and continue with the water changes. Anyone else have any methods of lowering ALK, without impacting the CA.

* * guess mode * *

I'd say your Xenia is still acclimating. I'd bet that the tank it came from had lower ALK and Ca levels. A PH of 8.0 will often cause them discomfort from my experience. I *think* you are getting PH fluctuations from the ALK being so high (ironically). When Carbonate levels reach a critical point it will precipitate by condensing onto a Ca molecule. This will lower the PH to a certain point and then the precipitation event stops.
* * out of guess mode * *

I suggest you first verify your ALK with a different test kit (or the LFS, etc.). If the same reading is obtained (probable) I would stop all ALK additives including the Kalk. Temporarily switch to Calcium chloride to maintain the Ca where you want it. Once the ALK has dropped to a more reasonable level (3.5 - 4.0 MEq/L), return to Kalk for your topoff.

Guy

Thankyou :D The ALK was verified by another test kit tonight 14.7 DKH. That (the stop the kalk and maintain CA by other means) was what I figured I should do. That is very good info on the ALK, that has had me stumped for awhile. I thought for the CA, ALK and surface agitation, the PH should be rock steady at 8.4, rather than the 8.0 (before lights) and the 8.1-8.2 mid day. I love it when I learn something new!!!!!! :p

The xenia is doing great, it is already developing new heads and spreading and getting new stalks. All the pinnules are out.

xenia10.jpg

Be careful what you wish for with xenia. I used to read all those people complaining about xenia taking over and I thought, "Yeah, right. I wish I had that problem." So what do I do? I go and get me a frag and it's taking over my tank.

Once it settles in good, you can't kill this stuff. My advice would be to make sure you have it in a spot where it can only spread to where you want it.

Stephanie

fishfreek said:
Maybe you could frag it and put it up in the classified section.

:)

Count on it!

Steph, I don't think there is anyplace in my tank that fits that bill, but I do have a sharp pair of scissors, and I'm not afraid to use a razor blade :twisted:

Ditto freshmaker.

Kevin, your coral pixs are really clear. Have you already posted us regarding the camera you have used? I'm very impressed with your shots.

Sue

CaliGal said:
Ditto freshmaker.

Kevin, your coral pixs are really clear. Have you already posted us regarding the camera you have used? I'm very impressed with your shots.

Sue

One thing you can count on, Sue, is that it is the camera more than the photographer. I have posted about the camera, look for threads in the lounge, show off and the product review section. The camera I use is a Nikon Coolpix 995. Here is a pic of the xenia, I took a couple of days ago, probably the best pic I've taken of that coral so far. Notice the to "pimples" on the stalks, new heads coming up shortly....

xenia11.jpg

Back
Top Bottom