Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Xenia Issue

Recently, my Xenia has begun to not open all the way. It's been in the tank for about 6 months, and has always done fine.

Today, the arms of the Xenia expanded, but the actual hands/fingers (yes, I know this is a horrible way to describe the anatomy) remained curled. It remained like that all through the lighting schedule of my PC's and MH.

Anyone seen this before?

Old 10-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I have a small batch in my reef tank. They seem to look real nice sometimes, and on other days curl up and look like their doing bad. Usually they will perk up for an hour at a time or so on the bad days. This is also the case in my moms nano cube.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had this Xenia for a good deal of time, and it has started doing this the entire last week. I have no idea what's wrong, but it looks as though it's dying.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Is it turning sort of pale? If it is, all I can say is that mine turned real pale once, then I woke up and they looks perfectly healthy. Check your levels and maybe do a 20% change if you feel it to be just.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Xenia are flakey sometimes. However, a cursory check of Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, alk and ph are in order (Assuming temp is good) Xenia are the heartbeat of my tank. If they aren't happy, something is typically afoot. (elevated po3 or po4, time to change bulbs, etc)

GL!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont know what recently crashed my tank, but I had alot of xenia in there and I honestly believe that something killed the xenia which started a chain reaction in my tank. If you have alot keep a good closeeye on it. If it starts to smell get it out fast. IME..
Old 10-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I cut out all the Xenia, kind of a pre-emptive move. Girlfriend thought it was pretty extreme, but I don't think it's worth the risk of losing my tank.

Rev, sorry to hear about your tank crashing. If you want some frags, pay the shipping and I'll send you some stuff.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but on a related note is Xenia something to avoid for a coral newbie?

I have been told it is hardy, but also have concerns about it overtaking my tank and crowding out other corals. This is now the 2nd post where someone is concerned about it dying off and crashing a system.

Thoughts?

BTW, Brodie people like you are why I love this site, more than willing to help out a fellow hobbyists. 8)

Rev, I too am sorry for your loss. I hope you do not give up as I have truly appreciated your advice.

TIA,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really love Xenia to be honest. Yes, it's a weed, and attempts to take over the tank, but that's what I like about it. I controlled mine by fragging it out and giving it to friends.

It's a hearty coral, and I plan on eventually getting more.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Xenia is considered starter grade. It does not like elevated nitrates and will die off with high nitrates (50 +ppm) It prefers bright light in the 10K spectrum. Under bright light and decent water conditions it will pulse like crazy. Under bright light and excellent water conditions it will be a weed. I almost lost all of mine when my de nitrator stopped working (Got plugged, salt build up) and the nitrates began climbing in my tank. Around 50 plus ppm nitrate it was starting to die off as well as other corals getting 'sick'. This stuff is hardy and you just about have to kill it in my experience. It is the heartbeat of my tank though. I can always tell its time to test or change the water when the xenia begins to look a little pale or doesn't pulse like it should. Its one of the most interesting pieces I have. People always ask about the pulsing etc. Its also *very* relaxing to watch. In my 29G it grows in the center under a MH light and pulses soo gracefully, I forget what I am playing when Im playing the guitar. 8) As for being a weed, thats an awesome problem to have. Folks will always buy the frags and it can be cut with little effort and tossed in the trash. As with any really healthy thriving tank, pruning is part of maint.

GL!

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com