Xenia issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Not sure what's going on, but I have a baseball size mound of Xenia, the pink pulsing variety. I have 2 small brown xenia frags on here as well. This morning I noticed the brown was small and although still pumping/pulsing, it appears to have lost many of it's 'arms'. I also see new buds, but what would or could cause this.
2z81847.jpg
[/img]

Xenia is still very much a "mystery" coral. It will grow like a weed in tanks with so-so parameters and not survive at all in pristine conditions...and vice-versa. I will also Thrive for a very long time and then, for no apparent reason, melt away. If problems are encountered, it may be a flow issue. They do not like heavy flow, so check your powerhead placement. Also, xenia like to spread upward, so putting LR above the animal s a good idea.

Might want to make sure you don't have anything eating it. Emerald crab went through a colony I had. I had to get up real early to find out what he was doing...

I went through a xenia grows uncontrollable phase and then it stopped. I am now getting to the point where it is growing again. Very weird.

Back
Top Bottom