Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
im running no bulbs. 160 watt in a 55 but they are about 3-4 inches from the surface-about 8 from the light.do you think maybe too much light?

dorian965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would think too much light would keep them short. It was just a idea do not take it to heart. First thing I would try is a WC. Mine are under MH lights so too much light is probably not the problem. You stated you had several frags in different locations. Seems like the only common factor is water.

*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
I think he thinks it might be reaching which is possible given the fact that you have NO lights. I don't know how much light it requires but I know my xenia likes to be near the surface and I have 7-8 watts per gallon of PC light.
Scottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
the shop i got them from was running mh lighting but they were at the bottom of a very dim tank.not sure what the deal with his lights are on that tank but its pretty dim. mostly this stuff, shrooms, kenya trees,and stuff.

im almost done setting up my new ro/di unit so i will be doing a few large water changes to get rid of nitrate and a phosphate problem ive been dealing with for a few months.also lower sg a bit. trying to get back down to around 1.024-5.

if you guys-gals think they will be cool , ill leave them and do the water changes to see what happens this weekend.thanks for all the help.

by the way. could someone post a pic. whenever you get time so i can see what they sould look like.thanks alot, dorian
Old 01-05-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with only NO lighting, your corals may be suffering. I have mine under 260w of PC lights and it's doing great. Here's a blurry pic. I can turn of the ph's and try to take a better one but I think this one gives you an idea.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
I had some in a 10 gal with 64 watts of PC lights and they turned a whitish color. Turned more pinksh gray when I added them to my larger display.

It is hard to kill, IMO. I have scraped it off rocks only to have a nub re-create it self
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
it did seem to be a lighting issue. i forgot that i had cut back my lighting to about 7-8 hours due to algae problems so i up it to 12-13 and they seem to be getting better every day. thanks for all the help guys and gals.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Xenia is one of those corals that either you can't keep or they grow out of control. I'm in the first camp. I had some waving hand xenia (definitely not what you have) and some pom pom xenia (also not what you have, I'd have to agree with the Anthelia--similar enough though for the purposes of this discussion). All of the waving hand slowly melted away. They just stopped opening and melted. The others continue to survive, but barely. They always open, they always pulse but they neither spred nor grow. Craziest thing, really. But I don't complain. Not after having seen some rather large scale tank takeovers! Good luck!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Xenia is usually a good way to gauge a tanks health. The best way is of course through testing. Both your xenia and your tests are telling you no3 is high and they don't like it. Also corals near it with sweepers can cause the xenia problems when the sweepers come out at night and sting the stalks. Some corals use chemical warfare to make their point. Finger leather (aka sphaghetti leather) releases toxins that over time will cause corals in the tank to start to decline. This is where water changes and carbon filters come in handy. If you have some high quality *activated* carbon, use it. As mentioned before its wc time too with that no3 reading.

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com