Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

xenia shrinking

As stated my xenia has been shrinking over the last couple week's. Every thing else has been growing and growing fast. Do xenia go threw stage's. And should it perc back up in a while.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

xenya will shrink up if there is water issues, as well as light issues. I don't think light is your problem since you have since you have MH lights so I would look to your water. Do a nice size water change and see if they perk up.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
What if it opens and for hours then closes up for 30 mins or so then opens back up? Sometime mine does this. I think im going to be getting rid of all the xenia anyways.

http://home.insightbb.com/~civicman86/FishSig.jpg
Pics and specs coming soon...
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Along w/ proper tank maintenance -ie. running GAC and replacing it approx. weekly, a good protein skimmer, and regular PWC's- IMO/IME the best way to keep Xenia healthy is by regular prunings. Some say it grows so fast and aggressively because each polyp is relatively short lived in comparison to other corals. This concept has worked for me. Even the Xenia dircetly in front of one of my sump out puts pulses though it receives much more than "enough" flow from my wave maker. As mentioned xenia are a good way to judge water quality. If somethings off they are often the first to show it. Just my .02 HTH
Old 02-28-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's just it thought I did a 20 gal change saturday and my test are as good as they ever been. And the xenia is the only thing looking bad. it has me stumped. The only thing is that about 3 weeks or so ago. Some rock's to a spill, and it split the xenia into two big piece's. The piece that broke away has been fine since.but the main piece is the one ailing.

Tags
shrinking, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com