Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Xenia-sick or getting used to its environment? (pics)

Well, today is the first whole day of having my xenias, and they arent pulsing, their polyps are abit out, but are hanging limp, I did a 15 gallon waterchange, and added some pH buffer. What could be the problem?!?!? Is it getting used to the tank still? Is it because its not it alot of flow? This is soo confusing!

Old 10-10-2004, 10:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Xenia don't travel well at all. They may be one of the hardest corals to transport properly. I wouldn't change anything for the next few days. Just keep an eye on them. Hopefully they will get going.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, I am sure it wasnt the transportation, LOL! A friend from another forum lives only 30mins to 1hr away, and swaped me 2 xenia frags, for my kenya tree corals. I'm hoping they will do alright, I got a ph of about 8.0-8.3, not sure, but my waterchange probably helped my ph, I did a waterchange, because nitrates were high, so Im thinking about doing 5 gal waterchanges til about wedensday. Im not sure whats wron with them. They arent melting or anything shocking. I'm just worrying about them. Ive wanted a xenia since a year ago, and I cannot let them go or i'll cry laying on the ground for days, it would not be a pretty sight, thats why im going to fight for their lives. I will need help getting through this. This morning when I saw it like that I had a few tears in my eyes
Old 10-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

How are your Xenia Doing

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You know I was shipped some xenia that looked worse than that (pieces were falling off) and it came back around and started multiplying (course they haven't started pulsing for me yet)...you never know. How are they doing now?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The pulsing is belived to be something that happens when the proper alkinity is reached for the tank. Whats your alkinity and calcium levels.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Xenia (2 Stalks) was doing great for about a month. They were pulsatng like mad, and growing. The other day they shrunk up, and peices fell off. The stalks shrunk up, and they are now gone. My water tested great, and the other corals are great. Go figure.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My calcium is at 400 ppm, and my alk is well all I have to test that is a testing strip which I've heard is fairly inaccurate, I need to replace it. But I know that ph and alk are related right? And my ph is 8.2. My friend has some of the xenia in her tank too and hers isn't pulsing either (I gave her some of mine to see if it was a deficency in my tank).

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Xenia is still one of those mystery corals we do not know a lot about. You can put perfectly healthy stalks in a tank with perfect conditions and they will just melt away, for no apparent reason. Some thrive and others just die. Make sure you do not have anything in the tank nipping at them. I have a flame angel that attacked one coloney and almost destroyed it. I got rid of the angel and within a couple of months the coloney is back and looking great as ever. Good luck and keep us posted...Lando
Old 10-15-2004, 10:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I had a xenia move to another rock and it left a piece of goo on the rock. The goo grew into another 2 headed colony!

Tags
ick, iron, pics, sick, xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com