Xenia-sick or getting used to its environment? (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, today is the first whole day of having my xenias, and they arent pulsing, their polyps are abit out, but are hanging limp, I did a 15 gallon waterchange, and added some pH buffer. What could be the problem?!?!? Is it getting used to the tank still? Is it because its not it alot of flow? This is soo confusing!

Xenia don't travel well at all. They may be one of the hardest corals to transport properly. I wouldn't change anything for the next few days. Just keep an eye on them. Hopefully they will get going.

Oh, I am sure it wasnt the transportation, LOL! A friend from another forum lives only 30mins to 1hr away, and swaped me 2 xenia frags, for my kenya tree corals. I'm hoping they will do alright, I got a ph of about 8.0-8.3, not sure, but my waterchange probably helped my ph, I did a waterchange, because nitrates were high, so Im thinking about doing 5 gal waterchanges til about wedensday. Im not sure whats wron with them. They arent melting or anything shocking. I'm just worrying about them. Ive wanted a xenia since a year ago, and I cannot let them go or i'll cry laying on the ground for days, it would not be a pretty sight, thats why im going to fight for their lives. I will need help getting through this. This morning when I saw it like that I had a few tears in my eyes :cry:

You know I was shipped some xenia that looked worse than that (pieces were falling off) and it came back around and started multiplying (course they haven't started pulsing for me yet)...you never know. How are they doing now?

The pulsing is belived to be something that happens when the proper alkinity is reached for the tank. Whats your alkinity and calcium levels.

My Xenia (2 Stalks) was doing great for about a month. They were pulsatng like mad, and growing. The other day they shrunk up, and peices fell off. The stalks shrunk up, and they are now gone. My water tested great, and the other corals are great. Go figure.

My calcium is at 400 ppm, and my alk is well all I have to test that is a testing strip which I've heard is fairly inaccurate, I need to replace it. But I know that ph and alk are related right? And my ph is 8.2. My friend has some of the xenia in her tank too and hers isn't pulsing either (I gave her some of mine to see if it was a deficency in my tank).

Xenia is still one of those mystery corals we do not know a lot about. You can put perfectly healthy stalks in a tank with perfect conditions and they will just melt away, for no apparent reason. Some thrive and others just die. Make sure you do not have anything in the tank nipping at them. I have a flame angel that attacked one coloney and almost destroyed it. I got rid of the angel and within a couple of months the coloney is back and looking great as ever. Good luck and keep us posted...Lando

I had a xenia move to another rock and it left a piece of goo on the rock. The goo grew into another 2 headed colony!

Well, the one in the pic had its polyps blown away... Too late for him, the other isnt looking all too well, but is still alive, but is limp. Well, I found on the other side there were 2 little polyps, they are doing great!! Its been about 1 week or 2 and they are pumping, one of the two made a new branch on its stalk. I dunno what my alk levels are, but hopefully the lfs will get the test kit I special ordered for tomorrow, last week, their supplier was out of alk test kits. I have done alot of 5 gal waterchanges like everyday so far. The ph has risen to 8.3, I added some reef builder alk. So when I get my test kit, I can find out how much I dose in my makeup water. I dunno what my calcium levels are :roll: but more often waterchanges should help. Btw, sorry I couldnt post earlier, my comp had to be formatted. I think those two little xenia babys will grow, they already have. These things are miniature! will it take very long for them to get fairly big? The taller one seems to pump more everyday, is it beause it is growing stronger?? :D :D Im pretty sad that the big colony has died, but I'm excited the little colony is alive and kicking.

I guess that is good and bad news. Your youngs ones will grow like crazy. Good luck...Lando

I took a closer look at the other big colony, and its health is improving alot, I think its because of the good alk levels. Their polyps lost their white except on theyre tips, and they lost their feathers, but are starting to pump, and will hopefully recover in a few days! :D

Back
Top Bottom