Yellow and Copas Tangs with parasites - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Background info:

I introduced a Yellow Tang and a Copas Tang into QT right after purchasing them. I have been very vigilant about quarantining all new arrivals and I am yet to have an outbreak in my main. I immediately started hypo, gradually lowering the sq to 1.009. Everything looked good for about 2 weeks and then I noticed small white salt specks on the Yellow Tang. I continued hyo patiently for another week or so and things started to look worse and the Copas also started to show signs of white specks. They have been in the tank fo about 7-8 weeks total time so far and the Yellow Tang looks the worst. I can't seem to identify the exact parasite. The Copas has a little bit of white specking but the Yellow Tang has become inundated with raised areas that almost look like seeds. They are darkest around the outer part of the lesions. The Copas only has the white specks. They are both eating very well. I have not treated with Copper at all.

Thoughts:

I am wondering if I need to go to Copper. My biological filtration is well established. If I do go to Copper should I removed by biowheels on my Emperor filter before adding the Copper or should I let the biofiltration slowly get removed on its own? I was thinking that it would be good if I could remove the established biowheels and put them in a smaller tank I have with an airstone so that I could put them back after treating with Copper and go back to hypo without Copper?
When the biofiltation does get wiped out how I deal with Ammonia and Nitrites? Will I have to do daily water changes?

Other info:

Are Copas Tangs hardier then Yellows?
I did use a refractometer for my sg measurments.

I am confused where to go from here. I do not know if I should continue with just hypo or go to Copper. If I do go to Copper I do not know what the best course of action should be.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete R.

Attachments

• yellow_tang_9-25-05.jpg
    yellow_tang_9-25-05.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 208
  • yellow_tang___2_9-25-05.jpg
    yellow_tang___2_9-25-05.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 206
That is not ich, I will defer to those that know more about disease in general as I have not had anything like this, but it looks like a bacterial infection to me. Scopas tangs are very hardy tangs to answer that question for you. Do not add copper. Please wait until you hear from someone else regarding this. I am thinking a different medication will be needed.

That is not ich, I will defer to those that know more about disease in general as I have not had anything like this, but it looks like a bacterial infection to me.

Thanks, but there were and are spots that fit the Ich description (salt-like specs on the body, head and fins). I'll wait to see what others say.

Thanks again.

First and foremost check the pH/alk. Tangs especially are susceptible to low pH problems red streaks. This however looks like a bacterial/viral problem, maybe secondary from a parasite but given the severity, I cannot tell what parasite. Are they the size of sugar grains or larger?

How are the other water parameters, how often are water changes being done?
How big is the QT?

Looks like there are some signs of HLLE/errosion towards the face area? How is the fish eating/what are you feeding it?

You will definately need to treat the fish. If no other symptoms are evident, I would use Nitrofurazone @ 30mg/gal as a one time dose left for three days without water changes. I would also suggest a rather large water change just prior to adding the med with well aged/aerated SW.

Cheers
Steve

Looks like there are some signs of HLLE/errosion towards the face area
I think you're right Steve. It could be an indication of low pH, and maybe as a result a secondary infection has spread. I haven't seen a case this bad before. Man!

Mike

Actually the HLLE indicator I was refering to was the sensory pits, not the white areas. The damage from the blood spotting is making it difficult to determine if there is more to this than the eye can tell. ie.. Uronema, Vibrio, trematode etal...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom