yellow banded clown/ Please Help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ampresearch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey tehre ya'll

i run a small 30 gallon sw tank.

monday night i went and bought a really nice yellow banded maroon clown

i brought him home floated the bag for about 10 min then added some tank water to the bag waited another 5-10 min then pulled him from the bag and released him into the tank with lights off. at first he only stayed up top. but seemed fine. in the morning i found that he had made home in the sand by pushing the sand up to make a hole.

my problem is this. he has still not eaten anything that i have seen.

he stays up top most of the day and then when the lights are off he goes into the rocks where he made the hole in the sand, when i got home from work today i noticed his color to be poor and his eyes seems to be hazy and a bit poofy. i would love to know if theres somthing i can do to help him. he does not look good

here is some specifics on my tank to help you out

30 gallons
ph 8.3
salinity 1.024
0 amonia
.15 nitrate
0 nitrite
temp 78
3 inch live sand base
65+ pounds of fiji select live rock
100 watts of light
established for about 2 months

the only fish in the tank are as follows
green spotted puffer
spiny serpant star
serpant banded star
and one spotted manderin goby

all other fish seem to be doing great

any help would be great PLEASE HELP!!! :(

Only thing i see that i would have done different is acclimated a little longer. I generally take about an hour to acclimate any new fish adding about 1/2 cup of tank water every 5 to 10 minutes.

I believe he probably isnt eating due to the stress.. Clown fish are extremely bold eaters.. I would try some Flake foods.. BTW you should QT all new fish as a precaution.. There is an article on setting up quarentine tanks in the articles section.. Alot of marine fish bring Ich into the main tank which should NEVER be treated therefor most of us QT fish for 4 weeks to watch for any signs of disease..

HTH,
James

what about his hazy eyes and reduction i color brightness??
is that stress two?? or can it be??

his Hazy eye is probably due to a bacterial infection "popeye" which should be able to be treated with Maracyn but I would ONLY do this in a QT tank NOT in the display.. The loss of color could be the result of the same which would probably be the reason why the fish is not really eating either.. IMO QT and Treat that fish!!! BTw I have heard some good stuff about MelaFix as well for the treatment of popeye or "cloudy eye"..

HTH,
James

Do a search on "cloudy Eye" on the forum you will find lots of info..

James

well crap this morning i found the ,maroon clown dead
i am not sure why but here are the things i could see

his eyes seem hazy
his fins seemed to almost be ridged
there was slim hanging off his fin
there is a dark spot on his side.

none of that was visible as of late last night
my next question is this

since all other fish in the tank are fine is it safe to assume i got the fish sick?? i want to go back to the shop but i dont feel like being attacked by ppl saying its my fault. I am new to this and they know it. but at the same time they are the ones that gave me the ok on my water
if it was the tank itself wouldnt my other fish be doing poorly??

and if it is the tank how can i find out why??. like stated befor all test of the water come up fine

Sorry for your loss...it happens to us all...just life I suppose.
Just keep plugging away and you will succeed :)

FWIW, both of my LFS are extremely understanding when it comes to returning, following the sudden death of fish I bought from them. I had two butterflys die on me within 3 days of getting them and both suppliers gave me credit or have offered me replacements.
This is the sign of a very conscientious LFS who is out to look after its customers and not just out to make a few quid profit.
I would try going back to your LFS and see what they do for you.

Good Luck
Stuart

Back
Top Bottom