Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OK thanks guys! The Goby looks fine this morning, and tank lights arent even on yet, tank has a little bit of ambient light from outside and my room

(BTW my tank normally only sees 4 or 5 hours max of complete darkness, is this ok? The rest of the time there is at least some ambient light on somewhere)

Well, I did have my first death lastnight some time, a Hermit crab, cause unknown, I dont now where his shell is, so it may havbe been another hermit looking for a larger home, I guess I need to get some extra shells asap. Irelaly dont think the camel shrimp did this, may have ben the misc. mithrax (I think it is a banded clgining crab, i.e. anemone crab) but he is missing his larger claw, so I would think that his abilities to kill large stuff is limited :/

Old 10-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Watch with cammel shrimps as they will pick at zoas and other softies. As for the hermit it may have been a molt they look like the real thing it is a defense mechanisim against prey till their exoskeleton hardens . The ambient light should not create a problem . But if you want to darken it a bit you may wrap a towel or something around it .

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Rereading your original post. It could be the lighting is confusing him. I would go to Wal-Mart and invest in a timer, to keep the lighting consistant. They should run around $12-15. I have a forktail blenny that would change colors when stressed or sleeping.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Austinsdad , There is still alot of research supporting cyanide capture, of course this depends on location of the fishes capture . Some areas have outlawed this practice however there are areas such as the philipines that still observe this practice. With out an autopsy on the fish it is next to impossible to say with 100% certianty that this is the cause to the demise of any fish not just gobies. Here are a few links that verify that this is still a used practice there are far more links to verify this but these are all that I had time to go through . You can certianly be your own judge on this but it is still a widely used practice .
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/eb/index.php
http://www.thekrib.com/Marine/cyanide.html
http://www.spc.int/coastfish/News/LRF/5/5Cyanide.htm
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-01/sp/index.php
The continuing use of cyanide in the collection of marine fishes by Bob Fenner is also one such writing .
Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is a timer on the lights already

Problem is is that my schedule makes me have te tank lights turn on at around noon and turn off at 10pmish

The dead hermit is def not a molt, there is meat attatched to the legs, and the legs are the normal colloring, red tips and everything.. dead hermit :/

As for the camel shrimp, I know, He has not messed with the mushrooms or the single polyp in the tank thouhg....kinda wish he would go after the apastia since I havent gotten a peppermint for that yet.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I run my lights from 2-10PM, so I can have some viewing time when I get home at 7PM. I have seen my hermits molt and it looked exactly like the real deal. You can get a lot of cheap shells at a craft store.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok, I will continue to count hermits, so far I have only counted 6, I have 7....

BTW turns out I have another death too :/ seems one of my hermits removed a nessarius to get a new home. down to 2 snails...need ot get some more.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Camels are not known to eat aptasia, their cousins the peppermint are .The species Lysmata wurdemanni is the one you want not Lysmata californica they are said to not be as good at eating aptasia . http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/in...epshrpfaqs.htm
Old 10-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know sadie I was just saying,
Old 10-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Austinsdad , There is still alot of research supporting cyanide capture,
Yep. I'm with you on that, but I thought it maybe a little off base to say that "most gobies are caught" with it. That's all.

Thanks for the links.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, color, goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com