yellow goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,
Forgive me. I'm very new to this. It may be nothing.

I've added a yellow goby to my tank. He's been in the water about 18 hours. I don't remember seeing any "blush" color on him before but this morning it is clearly there around his upper body. (Where I imagine his gills and internal organs are) Otherwise he seems normal and comfortable.

I fed mysis shrimp last night and he got some.

If I am reading my test results correctly, here are some tank details:
pH 8.2, Alk normal, Ammonia 0, Nitrite .05, Nitrate 2.5.... I have a 24 gal Aquapod with standard lighting and filtration. Tank mates are a chalk bass, royal gramma, pj cardinal, hermt crabs, and snails.

Is anything wrong?
thanks in advance... Becks

Becks said:
Nitrite .05,

This should be 0 at all times or you risk nitrite poisoning. This could cause red gills. I'd do a good water change and stay on them til the nitrites go down.

Picture? It would really help diagnose if we knew what exactly the fish is, it's only been in the tank for 18 hours it could very well be the fishes natural coloration and it's only just calmed down enough to show it. I would double check the nitrite from another source to make certain your test results are accurate but as Fluff mentioned if the nitrite is that high it would irritate the gills of the fish and cause redness.

I've never done a water change but I have gallons brewed up and ready... What do I do? Just siphon 20% off and replace it?

Thanks!
I did the water change and everybody seems happier. Particularly the snails and crabs! It has been less than an hour and the goby's color is also improving. You guys are great! Thanks again and again. I can't stand the idea of torturing these little creature!

I'll test again tomorrow and if possible get another source to test also. Wish me luck.
Cheers,
Becks

Good I like that. If I was you I would plan on weekly ones for a month or so. I do weekly PWC`s all the time

(y) That's good news. Keep watching it for a few weeks just to be sure. How are the fish looking?

Everybody lin the tank looks good and are acting normal except for the Cardinal. She is not herself since I added the Gramma and the Goby. She took food the first day they were in the tank but hasn't eaten since. She stays lower in the water than she used to and although she moves around a little, she seems to be crowded. LFS suggested live brine which I will try today. I don't think she is getting harassed either. I don't know what t is. Maybe she's anorexic. (hee hee hee)

Becks

The PJ cardinal is a shy fish and should have a cave or something to feel secure. The addition of the gramma could be the issue since they like to hang out in caves as well, but given time they should work it out.
If feeding brine, be sure to fortify them with some quality vitamins like selcon or zoe since brine alone has next to no nutritional value. I would try some frozen/thawed mysid soaked in garlic and vitamins. Or, if you want to try something live, try some blackworms. I haven't had a fish yet that would turn their noses up at them. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom