Yellow Polyps Closing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FLbeachbum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a rock with a few different types of polyps last week. When I first set it in the tank they opened up a lot. Now, only 1 or 2 of the yellows are opening up and they have lost their color. However all the others seem to be flourshing. Any ideas on what I can do or do they go through stages like this? One thing to note, my lamps have hit the 6 month mark and replacements will be here next week. Maybe the new bulbs will help? Nitrates are under 20 ppm and everything else is 0.

Could be a flow problem or a lighting problem, try moving them to a different part of the tank and see how they react. I've had this happen before and cured the problem by moving them to a new spot.

Sounds strange, especially if the others are opening. Any hungry hermit crabs? They like the yellow ones when they get desperate.

polyps are super simple. 1st off if they are only a couple days in the tank, don't sweat it. It usually takes a few hours to a few days for the new critter to realize someone has pulled the ole switch a roo..As a note, you should check your alk and PH. make sure they aren't too outta whack. Dunno what else you got in there, but a PH of Min 8.0 to max 8.3 is a good target. Also, alk min 9 dkh to ~11 dkh or (Some say 12 - 15) though NSW is about 8. (Course this isnt NSW ; ) More testing just in case, but in reality a week to two of being closed or erradic behaviour is just part of acclimation.

GL!

It could be a matter of flow. Some require more flow than others and the flow you have them in may be too much or too little for the yellows and just right for the others. The same could be true of the ligthing level where you had it placed, so you should move it around and find the "sweet spot."

Back
Top Bottom