Yellow stuff growing on my Xenia..??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goofyjas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a few stalks of xenia and I noticed some yellow stuff growing on one, my LFS told me to try to cut or scrap it off, when I did it looked like it was cutting the coral in half. So i cut the whole stalk off and now it is on 2 of the others, and it grows sorta fast. When i was scraping the other stuff off it was almost like a wet powder, one LFS said dont worry about it, it is sponge, until my xenia died and all of his ( where I bought it) had it all over and he said, I duno what it is. So does anyone know what it could be? or what I should do to get rid of it? I cant just throw out the rock because now I have a neon purple star that I havent ever seen before growing all over it. Any ideas?

I will try to get a pic to show you

TIA
GJ

Here is the pic, All my levels are fine that I have checked.

img_355296_0_e1d17dfcb4c1f479f30582d8f6cd02cc.jpg

Sounds like a species of boring sponge (Siphonodictyon sp.) which will often attack coral, primarily stonies but not sure here. Easiest way to kill a sponge is to exspose it to air for a few minutes.

Cheers
Steve

If I try that will everything else be ok? just take it out of the tank for a few mins?

Are there signs to tell or just wait like 5 mins?

thanks for your help!

Goofyjas said:
If I try that will everything else be ok? just take it out of the tank for a few mins?
2-3 minutes should do it. The Xenia will not be bothered by it really. When you remove the rock, dap the sponge with a dry paper towel so it gets properly exposed to air.

Are there signs to tell or just wait like 5 mins?
There are no immediate physical signs. It will happen after it's placed back into the tank, a few days in fact. Doesn't always work either but it's the least invasive means of removing the sponge. Basically the air gets trapped in the sponge causing necrosis and it will simpley rot. Once it starts, syphon the dead bits out so the rot does not affect the health of the Xenia. Sponges can be toxic so be very very careful. Start the syphon away from the coral and then use the hose to "clean" the affected area.

You may end up needing to do a Lugol's dip but try this first.

Cheers
Steve

I scrapped some of it off before when it was on my other stalk and killed it, comes off easy should I scrap some off and leave it out of the tank?

If you let the sponge die naturally (after exposing to air) it will fall away from the coral without damaging anything provided the rot is removed. Scraping the sponge while it's still in good health won't kill it, just slow it up some.

Cheers
Steve

Well I tried it, looks like the top 2 are ok and the bottom one looks like the sponge whatever got inderneath and ate the bottom and it all fell off this morning( the whole stalk is gone..

It is in my tank stil but should I look for it or will it be bad to leave it in? I have alot of LR to move around if i need to get it out.

thanks again!

Goofyjas said:
It is in my tank stil but should I look for it or will it be bad to leave it in?
Won't make a bit of difference unless this is a small nano which it doesn't appear to be so no worries.

It may yet still surface from the waters movement so keep an eye out for it. If you find it, it can be re-attached somewhere new.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom