Yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maya

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay guys. Here's the question... We currently have a yellow tang in a 75 gallon tank (and before we start the tangs need more space... We know. She came with the tank that we bought for the live rock and coral to fill the 6 foot 125 gallon my husband is building a stand for. Her time in this tank at our house is temporary, although I have no idea how old she? is. She has lived here for about 3 weeks. She looked thin to us, although she has started to fill out since we supplement her diet with nori and macro-algae and have improved the quality of foods that the fish are receiving. Her coloring has improved dramatically with the improvements in diet and lighting (couldn't just leave this tank struggling while we are building). Her stool has always been a bit light and stringy and today she has developed these white spots on her fins. I tried to take some pics. Hope these help but I apologize for the quality. She is still extremely active and is eating with the same fervor she always has. She is begging our peppermint shrimp to clean her. I will check the water parameters and post those shortly. We did a 25 gallon (25%) RODI water change the night before last.

Attachments

• image-2031399096.jpg
    image-2031399096.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-159097542.jpg
    image-159097542.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3720014116.jpg
    image-3720014116.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2152868646.jpg
    image-2152868646.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 89
I can't see the spots, but that diet is spot on. You might want to soak that nori with some vitamins to help bring her resistants up.

Okay here are the rest of the facts

Temp- 82
Salinity- 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrates- >5 ppm
Nitrites- 0
KH- 300
pH- 8.4

We are currently setting up a hospital tank and getting ready to do a freshwater bath. I have also placed nori soaked in garlic juice (which she is absolutely attacking).

Just realized that I didn't really describe the spots. They appear soft and fuzzy. They are prominent on her fins with a couple placed along the base of her dorsal fin. None of the other fish (percula clown, firefish, damsel) appear affected.

Okay... I think the hubby and I have agreed on lymphocystis. According to the folks on other sites the best course of action is a cleaner shrimp and continuing the nutritional supplements. They are also strongly suggesting not moving the fish into quarantine to keep from adding any undue stress on an already taxed immune system. Lymphocystis is apparently not contagious. If anybody has any other suggestions or thinks that there is a possibility that we have mis-diagnosed please let us know.

Back
Top Bottom