Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

stay on topic.... I would guess marine velvet

Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcothelia View Post
Where does it say whether it was wild or not...Could be captive bred for all you know. And either way, there are a lot of things in much more danger than tangs, IE SPS
There are no captive bred yellow tangs. Researchers just got a handful of larvae to the 14 day stage last month. Breeding/raising them in commercial numbers is still years away, if at all possible.
Collecting is decimating Hawaii's fish populations, and several species that were once commonly seen are now rare. It's just not ok to harm wildlife (populations and individuals) for a hobby. Stick to captive bred only and the worlds reefs will be much better off.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow... I'm not quite sure how to take you... I don't think you realize what having fish like this does... having these beautiful fish in our tanks helps people to understand what beauty there is out there. I believe that with they way global climate change is happening in the not too distant future the only place to find some of these fish and coral will be in our tanks, where we can ensure proper water conditions. I also believe that if you can get a captive bread fish then you should get that above and beyond the wild caught. I have to say though, if there wasn't the high demand for the yellow tang then there wouldn't be a group of researchers trying to breed them. Because of this hobby and the desire for fish (originally from the wild) people have been trying to captive breed all kinds of popular fish. If everyone followed your don't buy caught fish then there would be no breeding set-ups. Also FortheFishes I hope you don't eat any wild caught fish, most fisheries are on the verge of collapse.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Let's keep on topic
Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, I think you guys scared away the OP. LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Velvet does start in the gill area. Kills fast too. Best of luck to you.

Everyone - Let's try to help the OP with the problem.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I even have some help too... If you have velvet one thing that can help is a 50 micron filter, you should clean/sterilize the filter as often as you can because even after the velvet gets stuck in the filter it can still divide so you should do it several times a day. UV sterilization can work as well.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Running a UV sterilizer over your output is a good way to kill off the stuff, in addition to a 50 micron filter, constantly cleaned, as above.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com