Yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewelch

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the past few weeks I added a yellow tang to my tank. It is a 55 gallon with just two other fish, a skunk clown and a oc. clown.
Today I noticed it was acting funny. He/She is kind of lethargic, leaning against rocks near the bottom of the tank. The tang had been eating well and seemed to mix well with its tank mates. The tang show no signs of discolor and the tank parameters (exclud Phos. which I do not test) are all 0. Any ideas.?

Do you have alot of surface aggitation. This will add oxygen in the tank that tangs need plenty of. Also are there any white or black spots on him like salt or pepper.

My yellow tang had no salt and pepper discoloration. I dont have alot of surface agitation in my tank. The only circulation is what comes from my skimmer, which doesn't seem like alot.
Anyway, I lost my tang last night when it's swimming became weak and erratic. It swam into a sebae anenome. The anenome quickly grabbed the tang and I responded by netting the tang from the anenome. Already sick the poor tang didn't have much of a chance. I certainly don't feel like I did right by the tang and it will be a while before I attempt another addtion to my tank. I believe I have enough room in regards to bioload but losing fish kills me. This is my second attempt at adding one more fish to this tank. Both attempts ended disasterously. Last time it was a royal gramma.
The tank is 10+ months old and is my first saltwater tank. Sorry for the unload but this is a bit discouraging. Thanks.

That's ok, I have lost a few.
How did you acclimate him?

He might have been sick before you got him. But one thing you might want to do for the future is add a PH or two and have some surface aggitation to keep plenty of oxygen in the tank IMO. Tangs need plenty of oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom