yellow tang acting strangely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone log into . . .

http://www.toddwess.com/fish.html

and watch my Yellow Tang for about 5 or 10 minutes and tell me if she is acting strangely?

She just sits close to the top of the tank by the heater, and stays there for most of the day.

She has been in quarantien for 17 days now and seems perfectly healthy. Eats every day, and looks fine, but she just sits there staring at the back of the tank all day long.

Just wondering if she was okay or not . . .

Thanks,
Todd

Well, I know that my tang is not the smartest of fish. Pootie, yes, pootie tang :), tends to attack his reflection all the time. maybe yours fell in love with the heater.

Jim

I hope that's all it is. She is a little on the 'slow' side! :)

I'll keep an eye on her . . .

Thanks again!

Todd

I almost wonder if most tangs are kind of 'slow'. That would make the portrayal of the hippo tang in Nemo an accurate one.

Jim

cmor1701d said:
It appears to be swimming around just fine right now. Why is it in QT? New acquisition?

Yep, had her just over 2 weeks. She goes in the display tank on Tuesday when I get my Blue Tang.

She is also VERY RED along the point where her dorsal fin comes in contact with her body. Very red along the whole place where the fin comes in contact with the body.

Anyone else have this redness? Does it go away?

Thanks,
Todd

toddwess said:
She is also VERY RED along the point where her dorsal fin comes in contact with her body. Very red along the whole place where the fin comes in contact with the body
How is the alk and ph? Could be a simple bacterial infection for the most part. I would suggested a few water changes over the next week with aged SW. Be sure to match temp, salinity, alk and ph to the QT. The water changes and properly fortified foods (Zoe) should help clear it up quickly. If not, you may need to treat with an anti-biotic. Maracyn II at double the dose daily for 7 days. Just be sure if you do treat any new water added when changing the water is also medicated for the appropriate water volume.

I would try the water changes and fortified foods first though...

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve - I'll try that.

Can you give me a good example of a fortified food? Just feeding nori right now.

Thanks,
Todd

toddwess said:
Can you give me a good example of a fortified food? Just feeding nori right now.
Soaking the foods in a good vitamin like Zoe will help if you do not have any prefab foods. A few drops on the nori a few minutes before placing it in the tank should be okay. Nori alone is not always the best choice. Personally I would add some prefab marine foods like Ocean nutrition, OSI or HBH used sparingly. They do not need to be the main diet but will contain the "extras" that the nori will be lacking like [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]'s. Nori is a very high vitamin and amino acid source and should be used continuously, it just needs a bit of help.

The augmented foods are to help the fish fight it off naturally. The main benefit will be from the water changes as it dilutes both the bacterium and the DOC that will be causing the problem in the first place. Given this is a QT and not a properly funtioning ecosystem, it is actually more common than you think for this to become a problem.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom