Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2003, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yellow tang and little lh cow have ich?

hey guys...please help me out...i have a small yellow tang and a small longhorn cowfish in a 50g. everybody was doing great and suddenly the two have ich like symptoms showing only on their "gill fins" i have a cleaner shrimp in the tank which has taken care of a slight case of black ich on the tang before. the symptoms look like small unclarities on the fins...almost as if a grain of sugar had stuck to the specific fins and has slowly started to melt away...fin structure is good and overall activity is close to normal...any advice or ideas

Old 11-04-2003, 10:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello and welcome!

What are your water temp, salinity, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia readings?

Old 11-04-2003, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
You will want to quarantine the fish asap and treat them with either copper or by gradually lowering the salinty. Check out this article for treatment of salt water ick. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=7

Good luck, getting rid of ICK can be a huge problem.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i will have to update you on the exact specs when i get back home to the tank...i can say the water temp is a stable 76.5 and salinity at 1.022
Old 11-04-2003, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Raising temps and salinity first would be very good IMO.

QT ing the fish immediately and adding meds would be, if I were the fish, harsh.

I suggest raising temps to 80-82 F and salinity to 1.024-025 within a 48 hour period.

Then go from there, very slowly (if you decide to use meds etc)

just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I say this because 1.022 and 76.5 is quite chilly and pretty brackish.

Opportunistic "anything" bad would have an easy time hitting up fish in this environment.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:04 AM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapcrackler
I suggest raising temps to 80-82 F and salinity to 1.024-025 within a 48 hour period.
When a fish is sick, changing anything in it's environment can be detrimental without a proper treatment in place. I would not suggest this as it will do more harm than good..

Once the fish has been properly >>quarantined<< it can then be treated with copper or >>hyposalinity<< as already suggested.

While the fish is being treated seperately, the main tank can then be slowly brought up to a more natural level without affecting the other inhabitants as suggested by snapcrackler.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-05-2003, 09:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
When a fish is sick, changing anything in it's environment can be detrimental without a proper treatment in place. I would not suggest this as it will do more harm than good..

While the fish is being treated seperately, the main tank can then be slowly brought up to a more natural level without affecting the other inhabitants as suggested by snapcrackler.

Cheers
Steve
Wouldn't any animal have a better chance of resisting further infestation and infection, not to mention surviving medication, if it were in a more appropriate environment first?

If you come up to someone's doorstep, soaking wet and coughing in the cold rain, someone in the house would usually take you in to dry you off and get you warm before they give you something for your cough, rather than making you stand outside in the rain and eat cough medicine or chicken soup until you're well again.

Please excuse my extremely oversimplified comparison

And once again I appreciate your open mind to my ideas.... not trying to open a can of worms here.... 8O
Old 11-05-2003, 10:39 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapcrackler
Wouldn't any animal have a better chance of resisting further infestation and infection, not to mention surviving medication, if it were in a more appropriate environment first?
Since you should not be treating the fish in the main display, that would be a mute point. Altering the animals environment and then transfering it to a QT where it must undergo another adjustment period, would greatly decrease the chances of curing the animal. If you have the hope that by increasing the natural state of the environment it will aid the fish in riding itself of the parasite, then that would be incorrect. C. irritans is a parasite and as such the fish does not have an immunity to it. Having healthy fish with a strong immune response allows them a greater chance of resisting the parasite but are you willing to chance the lives of your animals on the hope that the response is strong enough to withstand the onslought of a parasite that releases 1000's of theronts from just one reproductive cyst?

Quote:
Please excuse my extremely oversimplified comparison
And once again I appreciate your open mind to my ideas.... not trying to open a can of worms here.... 8O
No worries 8) !! We all do as we feel is right but I urge you not to be guided by belief but rather fact.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-05-2003, 11:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Understood and thank you Steve. I understand that you urge me to not be guided by belief but rather by fact.

However I also urge you to recognise that "facts" in this particular arena, as well as most any other arena for that matter, have been defined by the conclusions (i.e. feelings based upong factors) of human beings that have been researching marine and FW biology for a relatively very short time.

Therefore I would like to offer that our "bedrock" of recorded "facts" exists because of the following things:

1. Scientists that we do not know, that post items that make a lot of sense chemically, biologically, scientifically, based upon their several years of experience in the field.

2. People that have discovered things, researched them to the best of their ability, and posted these findings, which later get passed along.

3. and so on.

I look back in history at thousands and thousands of FACTS recorded by people that were prominent scientists, doctors, and the like, that have been proven wrong in our current time (the germ theory, the world is flat, yellow fever comes from damp mud vapors, etc)

So keeping an extremely open mind is important to me, especially Chronologically.

Why does the named C.irritans exist in nature? Why do fish in the ocean continue to exist with this parasite and many others present in great numbers? Obviously the great oceans are a smidgen different than an aquarium, yes.

Thank you for your time.

Tags
ich, tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com