Yellow tang ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jtisle506

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a yellow tang 2 days ago, during acclimation he didnt do too well, breathing very fast jitterish etc. He is about 3in and big and healthy at the lfs he was eating and ich free, the first day yesturday and today he ate like a pig. But i noticed as my moon lights came on tonight that he has a LOT of ich, idk how it happened so quick, he was in a copper treated tank at the lfs and has only been in my tank for that long with that much ich, as long as hes eating (food soaked in garlic too) will he get over it? Was if because of the move? Please help

Btw:
75 gallons
Flame angel
Small hippo
1 clown
Firefish
1 cleaner

Stress lowers immunity, which is when Ich tends to show up. Eating is good. Adding garlic is supposed to boost immunity, but as far as "will it survive because its eating?", it just depends. There is Ich in the tank now, so the other fish now stand a chance of picking it up. If you do not do something to remedy the problem, the Ich will drop off your Tang (its just part of the life cycle) but its probably just a matter of time before another fish comes down with it.

Not to start another Tang battle, but both of those Tangs are not recommended for a 75g. People will debate that forever, but its interesting how there are so many threads that start off with "my Tang is sick/not doing well" and the tank is almost always smaller than most sources recommend.

Yellow tang today after eating garlic and being in a uv sterilized tank is ich free 4 about a week and a half,

And doing nothing would have either ended up with a dead Tang or a Tang that appears "Ich free". Those little white spots drop off as part of the life cycle. Some, that are free-floating, will get caught by the UV ( if it was set up properly with proper flow). Others will almost surely have dropped into the rock and/or sand and are incredibly happy to know that they were not "cured" and will live to fight another round with your fish in the future.

Copper or Hyposalinity, paired with a fallow tank, are the ONLY cures for Ich. Anything less ensures that the Ich lives on in your tank. It could be months for it to increase to levels where there is a good chance of another fish catching it, but the odds are against the fish and in favor of this annoying parasite.

Back
Top Bottom