Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Thanks Steve,

i am just trying to prepare in case i do have the Ich, at first i was gonna set up a QT, but skipped it hoping for the best, just being a newbie at its best, hopefully i will be alright, but you can bet i will QT from now on. Im gonna go get a HOB filter rated for a 30 gallon tank. I know it takes time to build up for the biological material, should i run it in my display tank, should i always run it in my display? Thanks again.

- Jeff

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:37 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish
I know it takes time to build up for the biological material, should i run it in my display tank, should i always run it in my display?
Any non sorbant material can be used to seed a QT. You don't need to run something "extra" if you already have something going on the main tank. Simpley swap the old one from the main to the QT and replace the one on the main with a new one.

What do you currently have on the main tank for powerfilters if any? Sump?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

no, i just got Liverock and sand, along with my skimmer. No sump either. Everyone seem to say that Liverock and sand with a good skimmer is the way to go. I didnt get a sump because i wasnt planning on doing corals.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey Badfish - I could have written the same post a few weeks ago. I have similar tank fish as you. (by the way I heard Chromis and Clowns don't get along - do yours get along well? I want to add a Chromis). I added a Tang three weeks or so ago that that started flashing. I only saw ONE spot ever. LFS owner never saw the spots. I took him back to the lfs for qt. He survived but he really struggled to breathe for a few weeks. Unfortunately my bicolor angel either caught it from him or just couldnt' handle the stress of the Tang and he died quickly. He was also breathing hard. My clowns and firefish show no signs of ich. As you know from my other post my qt is under construction - I learned a valuable lesson!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

fourmyclowns,

so you did get the ich, i thought i saw a spot last night, but its not their today. None of my fish show signs of stress, havent seen tang flash in a while, and everyone is eating. Im hoping that i was just being paranoid, but just in case i do have my qt filter running in my main tank. How long did it take you to see the effects after you saw the white spot (ex: breathing hard). Sorry for your loss. My chromis gets along fine with my two clowns. They may fight at first, but im sure theyll get along after a while. Advice to all newbs like myself, dont take the chance and not QT your fish, it will be less stressful on yourself and cheaper. Remember 4-6 weeks fishless in your main tank, plus chance of losing all your fish.

Thanks again to all,

- Jeff

Old 05-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Advice to all newbs like myself, dont take the chance and not QT your fish, it will be less stressful on yourself and cheaper. Remember 4-6 weeks fishless in your main tank, plus chance of losing all your fish.
Kudos to you for that statement!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:01 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish
no, i just got Liverock and sand, along with my skimmer. No sump either. Everyone seem to say that Liverock and sand with a good skimmer is the way to go. I didnt get a sump because i wasnt planning on doing corals.
You don't "need" a sump even if you did have corals. I was just looking for alternative solutions

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-12-2005, 07:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I had him 10 days total. No symptoms until about the 3rd day - then flashing started and became a constant. I only saw one spot and that was on the 9th day. Not sure what day the heavy breathing started but I just thought he was wearing himself out being territorial. He got pretty bad with little red dots around his mouth. He did recover though and is doing well.

Ditto on the quarantine - I learned a valuable lesson!

Tags
ich, tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com