Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It's been quite a while since I added NEW rock. I did a 15 - 20% water change and put new charcoal in on Sunday, a 30% wc yesterday and added ammonia detox, didn't feed them for over about 30 hours and still no change in the ammonia level!!
I use tap water and I know that's about the worst to use. I tested the tap water and it came out fine so no ammonia is in it. I have had a very healthy tank until now and actually no other fish is showing stress except the yellow tang.
I guess I have to do water changes every day until I can get it cleared. That seems more stressful to the whole tank though.
I am very frustrated!!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniey View Post
I use tap water and I know that's about the worst to use. I tested the tap water and it came out fine so no ammonia is in it.
Most municipalities add ammonia to their water. I work for one so I know. Make up a batch of SW from your tap and let it set for 24-48 hours and then test it for ammonia. Take it to your LFS to test to be double sure.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniey View Post
... a 30% wc yesterday and added ammonia detox, didn't feed them for over about 30 hours and still no change in the ammonia level!!...
When using those ammonia neutralizers, even after it's done its job you'll still get a reading for ammonia. It's just that the ammonia is in a non-toxic form, but still detectable from your test kit.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh that's good to know. Thanks. I'm going to do another water change tonight and see what happens.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Please dont use additives. Tap water cant be tested in 1 batch. It can and in many cases will add ammonia and nitrate and phosphate and other unwated elements in small amounts and collect over time making it hard to control. Then tap isnt consistant as you could get unfavorable high elements from one water change.
Then whene like now you have problems ruling the source out is best.

THen adding new LR that isnt cured can be very bad.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So if the problem is my tap water, which I'm beginning to think it is, why not any additives? What other way can I neutralize the ammonia? Am I just adding fuel to the fire everytime I do a water change?
I also have a freshwater tank that doesn't show any ammonia and I use tap for that one too.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Most of us use a RO/DI unit. This is the one I have but there are cheaper ones out there.

Reverse Osmosis Aquarium Water Quality: Maxxima RO/DI Units

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I've used Amquel and NovAqua from Kordon fro conditioning tap water in the past. I now use a RODI unit exclusively, but use Amquel to neutralize items cleaned in chlorine.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Additives arent relyable abd you cant test for all elements like copper or lead or pesticides. If you cant ever rule out the water source as your problem then it will be hard to controll any issue.

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com