Yellow tang, quarantine, feeding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I picked up a yellow tang on Saturday and placed it in quarantine. I know it's only been a couple of days but it hasn't had a bite of anything. It had eaten at the LFS but not since I've brought it home. I know they need a lot of space to swim which it will have in my DT but is putting it a small QT stressing it out? Is there a treatment I can do for a couple or three days and then place it in the DT to give it the room it needs? Can I dip the seaweed sheets in the garlic guard I'm using for the fish in my DT?

I'm not quite worried about it not eating just yet but concerned I guess...Thanks...

Steve

Mine didn't eat for 4 days. Then it started eating some small pellet food. It was 2 weeks before it started eating the nori I gave it every day. Once it started though, it devoured the nori every day.

The QT is only 10 gallons and although the yellow tang is small (approx 1-3/4" or 2") I just feel it's too small. Right now it is really skittish and I've given it a plastic tube to hide in. It comes out occasionally but not when I'm around. I have to peak around corners to see it come out.

Is nori the seaweed sheets? I bought the green and purple Two Little Fishies brand seaweed sheets. I also have some herbivore flake food amongst other foods for the other pets in the DT.

You been checking the ammonia and nitrites in there? Gotta do PWCs often in QT tanks to ensure he's not stressing from that in addition to new surroundings. One other trick may be to put a small chromis in there with him. It may help him not be so shy and see its alright to swim around a bit.

Still, like mentioned above, it could take time for him to come out and eat. Not unusual at all.

Yup, checking levels daily and just prepping some ro/di water for a water change tomorrow. I'm not quite worried yet but just concerned as when I had two clownfish in there they ate right off the bat.

I was thinking of doing a propholactic treatment to rid it of any parasites but does that still require a 4 week QT?

Thanks guys I'm just checking what some of the options might be...

Steve

Back
Top Bottom