yellow tang scratching on rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mchief

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i got a yellow tang about 2 weeks ago, he's been an interesting fish. he has a habit of itching himself quickly on rocks. he doesn't do it often (i don't know, 5x a day) and really only in the evening. i can't see any spots or anything and he's eating and active.

any advice?

Sounds like the beginning stages of ich, or possibly marine velvet. Yellow Tangs are expecially sensitive to parasites. I would quarantine and observe to see if he needs treatment or not. If you haven't already, I would start soaking his food with vitamins such as Selcon, or Zoe to help build up his immune system. This will help fight off the disease if he has one. Good luck.

Mike

I agree with salttanker my yellow tang started doing the same thing and it turned out to be ich so I would quarantine him as soon as possible, because when it starts it takes off. I quarantined mine and he is doing fine now.

GOOD LUCK

Might want to be on the safe side and do what they say. If ich gets in your tank it can last over 30 days without a host.

I had a yellow tang and lots of others - back when I got stupid and relied on the UV sterilizer, stopped QTings, and added fish too fast. OK, if not stupid, just overexcited about my new tank and added fish too fast. Didn't know about velvet then and thought the tang shrimp thing ws so cool.

The yellow tang pulled up to the cleaner shrimp often. No on else did. 90 percent of the other other fish died from velvet. The yellow lived thru it after I did some water treatments. Maybe I got lucky, but the cleaners may have helped him.

Got a QT tank? If not, got shrimp? QT sound like your best bet to really be more in control of your fish's fate.

Agree with all of the above. If he is scratching, its for a reason usually.
I would suggest getting a qt ready.(for all the fish).

i can't see any spots or anything and he's eating and active

I do agree with the above as far as having a qt (and cupramine) on standby, but I would not rush him into treatment without seeing a spot or coating on him (parasite). My hippo rubs from time to time, and I've swam with tangs in the wild and seen them "rub". For now, I would just monitor him for any symptoms besides an occassional scratch...it may subside. Also, during this time a few large water changes with aerated/mixed (24hrs+) sw is a good idea. Also keep the PH up close to 8.3, they do not do well in low PH conditions. Can you post your water parameters? How old is the tank?

thanks for all the advice

this 45g tank has been up for nearly three months

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:5
PH: 8.2
SG: 1.023
Temp: 80.5 degrees F

i've done 10% water changes weekly but i think i may bump that up to 2-3 per week. the QT should be ready in about 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom