Hi I have a 30 gallon reef tank. That is about 8 months old. I have an assortment of soft corals and one sps
and a healthy clean up crew of crabs and snails. I have a tomato clown, algae blenny for 5 months and up until today a small yellow tang that I have had for about two months.
I woke up this morning with everything fine. I feed them some small drop pellets like I always do early in the day. The tang was completely fine he ate, then within minutes he was breathing very fast and laying on the bottom.
So I quickly tested every thing I could. spg 1.024, ammonia 0 , nitrates 0, nitrites 0, phosphate 0. Temp 80 degrees I know this is a bit high for some people but I have had great success with the warmer water.
I run 2 24 inch power compacts lights 10k day and a 50/50 atinic 10k day. A cyclone 100 protein skimmer. A maxi jet 1200 power head, Two marineland biowheels 150s for filtration.
I had just performed my Bi weekly 10% water change 2 days ago.
So with all of the levels being what they always are. I feared that maybe he succumbed to a parasite of some type. So I pulled him and performed a 3 minute hypo with antibiotics added. Replaced him in the tank, Then had to leave too pick up my daughter. I returned with in the hour to find him dead.
This all happen in about a 2 hour span. I pulled him from the tank and checked under his gills for black spots nothing found. No loss of color no sores wounds nothing. The only thing I noticed was a concaved stomach on him?
So Im just looking for insight to what happen with him. Could he of choked our gotten food logged in his mouth our stomach. It all seemed to be caused by the feeding.