Yellow tang under hypo, ich still there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Syn6644

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tang has been under hypo in a QT for about a week. (sg 1.009, trates 2ppm, trites 0, ammonia 0, ph 8.2, temp ~ 81) It had a lot of white spots on it which turned black then fell off the 2nd day. When the tang was in the main, it never flashed, but having been a week, it just started to flash. Why would the tang be flashing now when it wasn't before? Looks healthy, vibrant and well fed...

Hyposalinity will not affect the trophonts at all. Once the fish is placed in the QT and the salinity lowered, it can take as long as 7-14 days depending on the actual time the treatment level (14-16 ppt) has been reached before seeing improvement in the fish's appearance.

The good news is you should see a steady decrease in the level of infestation. There should be no new infestations from this point on as long as the salinity is maintained below 16 ppt. Be vary wary of evaporation and ensure you top off several times a day as well as verifying salinity levels.

How are you measuring the salinity?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve! Yea I check the tank for evap several times a day. I have the QT marked on the side so I can tell how much evaporated.. I'm using a high precision hydrometer, is that okay?... I don't have the money for a refractometer at the moment, but I hope to give myself one for Christmas.

They should be under hypo for 4-6 weeks, is that correct?

Syn6644 said:
I'm using a high precision hydrometer, is that okay?
Kind of a contradiction, they are not really that precise. Through regular use they become less and less accurate. The sooner you get the refract the better. Until then, be sure after each test, rinse the unit in hot tap water and store in a ziplock bag to prevent dust contamination and the like. When you use it next, rinse several times very well in the QT and tap it gentley to loosen and air bubbles before taking the final reading. Because it will not have completely dried between uses, do not use it on the main tank.

They should be under hypo for 4-6 weeks, is that correct?
The fish should remain at hypo conditions for 4 weeks after the last trophont is seen on the fish.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks. I just went on ebay to see if they have any good deals on refractometers and they have some w/no reserve that seem like they'll do the job. If I can get a good deal on one, I'll get one or maybe more and see if I can't help out some others on AA that need refractometers for a low price. Thank you very much for your help!

Alright thanks. I just ordered one today. They still have a 5% discount. To get it you need to write in the comments area that you are an AA member and they'll take care of the discount, if that helps anyone. Thanks for the find Steve!

How is the tang doing? I clicked your post to help but I see the "MAN" has already helped you.

hehe "the man" sure did. I feel so blessed! :) Its doing well, I haven't seen any more flashing today or yesterday. Its color is getting more vibrant everyday (looks better than when I first purchased it), and seems very happy.

Back
Top Bottom