Yellow Tang w/spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
This topic is prob waaay overdone but I also bought a yellow tang and noticed that he has a few tiny black dots on him. Now, he is eating and looks fine, swimming actively. I recently tried to treat a niger trigger with ick and he didn't make it, so I'm very cautious about treating him chemically in any way, even stressing him with a freshwater bath.

There are so many opinions on what to do, ranging from feeding him and letting it go away, to freshwater dips to quarantining. The best one I heard is getting a cleaner wrasse, I may follow that one since that may be what would take place in nature.

Bottom line is NO CHEMICICALS and feeding of greens plus getting a cleaner wrasse. I think thats the best solution at this point.

I guess my question in all this is of more opinions. What would u guys do?

i had the same thing on my yellow tang. i gave him a freshwater bath and quarantined him in a tank with no substrate for 6 weeks. seems to have worked, as he has been back in my display tank now for a couple weeks. a cleaner wrasse might get rid of a few of the parasites, but not all of them and your tang will be affected even worse if you do not take care of it now. also, you can use some copper medicine too but only in the quarantine tank becaue it will kill your inverts.
steve

you can treat with Hyposalinity very effective but with black ich which is what it sounds like can easily treated witha quick 10-30sec FW dip and the QT for 4 weeks.. You can litterally see the black spots drop off almost imediately after the hit the FW..

HTH<
James

Would u guys recommend getting a cleaner wrasse of some kind or a neon goby? I know this might not be a solution but it may help. I heard keeping wrasse's in captivity is not easy.

TriggerHappy said:
Would u guys recommend getting a cleaner wrasse of some kind or a neon goby? I know this might not be a solution but it may help. I heard keeping wrasse's in captivity is not easy.
No, I would not recommend either. The cleaner wrasses are near impossible to keep in a captive sytem and the other concern is when the goby becomes infected, you are going to need to treat it as well.

Why not eliminate the problem altogether?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom